Y&R: April 2014 Discussion

• Members

I agree with EVERYTHING you have said here. The issues with isolation, airtime, storyline development are all very real. However, this is not just because they associate with the Winters. It's more the writers not interested in any relationship that doesn't serve the plot. This happens with everyone who mostly have scenes with family or the person to which they are paired. I just feel like people only notice it more when all the faces are black. I suppose that viewers wouldn't care if only associating with other black people garnered the black people more airtime and story. It did with Tyler by the way. Maybe that's why people are complaining about him not being paired with Lily when he has gotten what I see advocated for all the black characters on canvas. When his story with Lily was finished (cut short) they moved him on to a Newman (whether they value her or not is irrelevant as far as I can see) instead of sending him out of town. Or are the complaints just a case of people never being happy?

The point I am arguing here is the "paired just because they are black" comments that I see. They just make no sense in context most of the time. I have given an example for where it made sense to me and ironically, that is the one time where no one used the comment. It always seems to be trotted out when a AA woman is being paired with Neil. I agree that their needs to be a third unrelated black family if the writers insist on not allowing the core black characters the run of the canvas. And I don't just mean a brother and sister either. I mean mother, father, and two kids to accompany the brother and sister family of Leslie and Tyler.

As for people like Kevin and Cane, I have laid out my point on the bias of viewers in the unpopular opinions thread. They seem to embrace every white person that comes on the show REGARDLESS.

Don't get me started on Hilary kissing Jack AND him not reciprocating. It just came across as a ploy to show Jack as some sought after virile man. Blech! What was the purpose of that otherwise? To show him so dedicated to Phyllis? Couldn't be because he was flirting and making googly eyes with Kelly at the very moment. And there was no explanation for why he didn't reciprocate. No discussion on him not wanting to mix business with pleasure. Nope. So we are lead to believe he just isn't attracted to her. angry.png Why wouldn't Jack be attracted to a beautiful and smart woman like Hilary? I am surprised to see you see it as a problem. Most people on here seemed to love (relish) the idea of Hilary with Jack.

Oh, and by the way, the pairing of Ashley and Neil was only a stop gap pairing. It was never going anywhere. ED has gone on record saying that she was told Ashley would be paired with Tucker before his debut.

Tell me, what would a sensible pairing for Neil look like to you?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hilary is no longer a vixen. Whether with Jack or not, she was not going to be that because this regime doesn't know how. And I don't necessarily buy that being with Jack would have afforded her more airtime. No matter who she is with, she is a minority character. Hilary is not isolated and neither was Leslie. I just find nothing about your statement accurate or rational. LOL

• Members
I know people can have a difference in opinion but it's like me and you are not watching the same show. You said you don't see any creative differences between the Newmans and the Winters and I disagree with you of course. It would be redundant for me to point out the differences because DeeeDee already did that. As for Neil and Hilary's relationship, it won't last because nothing involving Neil ever does.

• Members

Age is not the point and ED is as stunning as ever! She just gets more beautiful as time goes by. The problem is that she and Vicky should have no words about Stitch. Ashley flirted with him once for 1/2 an eppy but has been gone. Once she learns that his unfortunate choice is a date with Bricky, that should be the end of it. But I could easily see those 2 hacks trying to create drama where there isn't any.

Besides, Ash is only here for a few eppies right?

• Members

You obviously didn't see ED on DAYS being paired with "Eric" and "Brady" - roughly similar age issue, but she definitely did not like out of place either in the bedroom or other scenes. I know they were testing Cane/Ashley shortly before ED was "traded" to DAYS and I saw some nice chemistry there.

• Members

I agree that Hilary and Neil won't last. It isn't designed to last. I thought his pairing with with Leslie was though. I do see some differences in the writing. However, the biggest difference is in airtime, investment, and design. What I am arguing against is the issue that folks seem to take with him being paired with AA women or him fighting his brother over a woman. That seems to be a soap staple.

• Members

It was so random. It's like they only brought her back to play angst to Vikki and Stitch. What sense did it make for her to leave her daughter's engagement party early to go see this man that she only met once as he treated her ankle in the ER. Eh. It would have made more sense if she was going to flirt with Neil. At least they had a relationship that could have been played as her regretting how it ended. Give me a break.

Archived