Shows That Got BETTER Over the Seasons

Khan

• Members

I think it has to with the actors REALLY finding their comedic timing (if they have it LOL) but also the writers getting in on the basics of their characters and therefore delivering truly hilarious scripts. After 80 episodes it gets difficult to keep it fresh with the same characters...

Or it is all just subjective and we viewers just get fond of those shows before getting tired of the same style/humor and keep watching it out of habit.

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned one single David E. Kelly Show. He should own this thread.

Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Legal - all were improved by leaps and bounds in their late season 1 or definitely by season 2 with new characters really working on the strength's of each show. Season 3 was usually the climax and it started to deteriorate by season 4 or 5. Don't think any of his show's lasted longer with the exception of The Practice which basically became it's own spin-off in season 8 though before officially launching Boston Legal.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's also interesting how 80's/90's shows wouldn't necessarily cement their character history in the first season. They would make changes once they found a good footing for the character and then stick with it here on out.

For random instances, in the first season of Boy Meets World, Shawn references to having a sister. It is later established for the rest of the series that he's an only child.... In the first season of Melrose Place, Alison indicates that she had a very happy, healthy childhood. Later, at the tail end of season 2, she realizes her father molested her as a child and subsequent references indicate that she had a messed up upbringing... 90210's Donna was sleeping around, according to season one (the episode when the Walsh kids throw a house party, geezus why do I remember this crap), but was later established as a virgin who wanted to remain that way until marriage.

• Members

Mary Tyler Moore's first season resembled That Girl in tone, especially Mary's hairstyle. I think the show started morphing in season 2.

Growing Pains first season was rough, but season two through five were pretty good.

I think the first season is used to establish character, but once the writers see how an actor plays the character then they start to write the character to fit the actor.

• Members

I actually liked MWC better during the earlier years. The show probably peaked in Season 3 (88-89), but the first two seasons were excellent as well. (What I liked best about the first season was that the Bundys were somewhat normal, as opposed to the cartoons they'd become later.) Seasons 4 & 5 were also good, but there was a noticeable decline in quality in the sixth season. Most of the episodes that aired in the last three years (seasons 9-11) I thought were unwatchable.

• Members

The general concensus seems to be that adding Seven (at the start of Season 7, 1992-93) was the definitive jump the shark moment. Even though it was better than season 7, I also thought that season 6 was considerably inferior to what came before. (That was the season when Peggy got pregnant, only to have it revealed that the pregnancy was just a dream of Al's. In real life, this storyline change was made out of respect to Katey Sagal, who had a stillborn baby.)

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I loved the Terri era just as much as Chrissy/Ropers. Indeed, all eras of Three's Company hold up very well in reruns. 

EDIT: Ha! Didn't realize this was a rebooted thread from 2014 and that I already commented on good ol' Terri 

Please register in order to view this content

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's several months later, but I was about to say the same thing in regards to The Brady Bunch that I said almost 5 years ago lol I've been watching it a lot on MeTV on Sunday mornings, and I still feel the same way. The final season had some of the show's best episodes.

Here's one - The Price is Right, by its very nature, got better as the years went on and they added more games, the audience got more into it, the roster of models stabilized, etc. Early TPIR is great, but classic, vintage, top-notch Price is Right is basically anything from about 1980-2005. Those 25 years were golden.

Archived