DC's top 10 Newbies of 2013

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, I don't agree that BC is one of the worst. In fact, I think he is very good. The problem for me is the writing for Morgan. Now the character is a whiny mess. BC has done some really good work, but Morgan can either be deSORASED or die a gruesome death!

I do, however, agree with the agenda pushing. It's painfully obvious, especially when their worst story is the killing of a child not one audience member cares about while all of the storytelling on GH is off screen.

One of the biggest tragedies of losing all of the soaps is that we lost soap journalism as well. I miss the days when the writers and those masquerading as such were called out on their crap. Now, we are stuck with a handful of fangurls with access to free websites. Puke!

• Members

I think BC is alright. But the relentless rush to hype him - and him and Ava - as the Next Big Thing just reeks of flop sweat to me. He's nowhere near a Jonathan Jackson, he's not even in the same galaxy. That's hilarious to even suggest.

He's talented, and he's had some very good scenes. But I think it's just as often, if not moreso, that he has a very hard time with the often very poor material, where he's really just treading the paths of old scripts for Trey or Robert Ford on OLTL or whoever else - the damaged little boy with a great body who does bad things he will regret later when illuminated by the light of the latest teen golden couple. Here, watch him weep as he does crunches at Sonny's gym. The pairing with Ava was interesting to me for about two minutes. Now he just comes across as a dazed meathead hanging out with an utterly inept velvet mafia, led by David Geffen and Marlene Dietrich from Rancho Notorious. And do I find the Jerome mob extremely entertaining in their outré craziness? Yes, absolutely. But when Morgan comes off as the least bright of that gang, he's coming off really bad. And Craig can't save how the scripts make Morgan come off.

He's not bad, but acting like he is some incredible JJ-level talent is a bit much. And the breathless rush to coronate him among some of the soap press smacks of having more to do with GH and the creative team than BC himself, IMO - the need to create a hype machine for some new hire, any new hire at the show on the order of some of the overhyped stars exiting Y&R. Part of it is personal ego with sites like DC, trying to make the tastes as opposed to letting them evolve organically - and then being shocked when not everyone thinks Billy Miller or Michael Muhney are the omega of soap opera - and part of it, IMO, is about justifying GH's place in the pecking order of their minds. And you can only do that at year's end by doubling down on Bryan Craig being the next Billy Miller who is the next Michael Muhney, etc.

It just sounds like a lot of work to me, man. I just watch the shows.

• Members

MW is a fantastic actress and I could like Ava so much more than I ever liked Carly Tenney, but like you, Carl, she is all pose!

Her scenes with AJ were maddening. Ava is supposed to be some 20s siren in scenes that don't even call for it. She's not clever - everyone else is just stupid! Ava and her sister, Julian, need to go!

• Members

I thought Ava posing and posturing in scene after scene was fantastic - for the first three months. Now it's starting to wear thin. She's still a fun character but they're diluting her with the recent Jerome incompetence and the lame attempts to soften her with Morgan, etc. Why did she even show up at the Q mansion? Didn't they kick her ass out months ago? If A.J. isn't going to start [!@#$%^&*] her himself so she can cuckold Morgan, I'm not interested.

I did laugh my ass off when she swanned out of GH after spitting some cryptic [!@#$%^&*] at Sam again for no reason, and Sam's only response was to roll her eyes and very obviously mutter obscenities under her breath. Kelly Monaco isn't always good at very much, but she's good at that dry humor.

• Members

I thought so before. As of now I honestly can't make that call for sure. My current suspicion is that Ron will insist on another "clever twist" where Ava is revealed to somehow not be Connie's killer, just to keep her ass around a little longer. He's done this many times, to keep one character at the expense of all reason. I think Ava is a great villain, but she will eventually have to either be disposed of or brought back in doses.

Archived