What Would Passions have been like if Bill Bell or Agnes Nixon was Head Writer?

• Members

Thought this would be an interesting topic. I have been re-watching 2004-2005 episodes of Passions, which was when IMO the show became a hot mess, too many psychos roaming around, no direction what so ever for the stories, to much violence/rape etc...... I know JER was somewhat of a Bell Protege, and people can argue that many of his stories on Days and Passions came from Y&R/B&B, but Passions did have the camp factor that Agnes used a lot on her soaps.....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think If Bill Bell was Co-HW in the beginning the show would just be even better. I'm trying to buy and re-watch this entire series and I'm currently in May 2000 and it's a VERY good soap. It had lots of comedy, but is is overall a very traditional soap in many ways. There is only one supernatural stuff and everything else is very standard. JER's style is very similar to Bill Bell, but with a supernatural edge. I know the show eventually became a mess, but I'd say up to around 2004, it was a great soap opera!

• Members

Passions was never what JER and NBC originally wanted to be. I still believe that that to this day. Eventually, JER just gave up and wanted everyone to believe that it was supposed to be something of a parody known for utter stupidity, but he obviously had higher standards during its inception (which was never fully realized in the end).

• Members

JER was a story consultant on BB& YR in 1990 after his time at Capitol RH & GH but before his GL stint

JER.jpg

REILLY, JAMES E. (July 1948 - October 12, 2008)

Updated December 23, 2010

Bold and The Beautiful

- Consultant (1990)

Capitol

- Associate Head Writer (March 26, 1984 - 1984)

Days of Our Lives

- Consulting Producer (September 2003 - October 6, 2006)

- Head Writer (April 29, 1993 - November 20, 1997; August 19, 2003 - October 4, 2006)

- Co-Head Writer (December 21, 1992 - April 28, 1993; November 21, 1997 - January 5, 1998; August 11, 2003 - August 18, 2003)

- Executive Storyline Consultant (1997 - 1998)

- Associate Head Writer (1989)

General Hospital

- Associate Head Writer (1985-1987)

Guiding Light

- Co-Head Writer (1990-1992) *

- Associate Head Writer (1990)

Passions

- Creator (July 5, 1999)

- Head Writer (July 5th, 1999 - August 7, 2008)

- Consulting Producer (1999 - August 7, 2008)

Ryan's Hope

- Associate Head Writer (1984)

Sunset Beach

- Executive Storyline Consultant (January 5, 1998 - December 31, 1998)

The Young and The Restless

- Consultant (1990)

Misc.

- Owner of 'Outpost Farms Productions, Inc'

What was the original idea

• Members

I think Passions is hard to imagine as being done by Bell or Nixon.. the only element in Passions that reminds of Nixon-esque writing is the vast socio-economic and racial diversity. The African American Russell family, the Latino Lopez-Fitzgerald family. The contrast between the wealthy Crane family and the poor Lopez-Fitzgerald family (even having Pilar work as the Crane maid). Those elements of diversity and inter-community diversity remind me of Agnes' soaps.. but other than that I totally see Passions as JER's baby.

• Members

...I don't know who you are anymore...

Seriously? I mean I'm half in jest--you'll be happy to know you are still one of my fave posters :P But... Seriously?

I gave Passions a good shot--almost a year when it started. But the issues such as endlessly repeated conversations were there from the opening. The promos, when it was advertised as a genuinely creepy soap were GREAT though.

I can't really answer that question, but it was promoted (from what I reemember) as a soap similar to Dark Shadows. Of course DS was beyond campy, as well, but....

Nixon's style of camp is very theatrical--or, like the author she always mentions, Dickensian. That's more from over the top characters than over the top stories (though, of course she--and Dickens--had those two, especially a love for random coincidences.)

Really? I have to disagree... To use an old, and now current example is Billy Clyde Tuggle--from the name to everything about the character, he's camp. I do think Agnes added more of that when the show expanded to an hour--it's easier to add elements like humour to a longer show.

• Members

Eric, I'm very impressed with Passions! I only started watching around 2004 so this is all new to me. I'd honestly say This first year of Passions I've just watched is better than most of what I'm seeing on soaps now. I do agree that the repeated conversations and slow pacing is tiresome, but as someone who watched Y&R for years I'm used to a slower pace. Even with the slower pace the show doesn't feel slow. It's hard to explain, but they manage to keep me entertained. I'm so used to these rushed soaps ala current GH, B&B or Y&R (or even the PP soaps), so it's nice to be able to watch a somewhat traditional soap.

Archived