Grade the first season of OLTL 2.0!

• Members

How would you all grade the first season of OLTL 2.0? I would grade it a B- for these reasons:

Positives: The returns of all the old and relatively new characters on the show (including the surprise returns of Victor Lord Jr. for a short stint, Todd Manning for a limited arc, and Allison Perkins' surprise return at the end of the first season), the new additions of new characters Jeffrey Wright, Arturo Bandini, and Carl Peterson, the successful Matthew recast, the improved acting performance of Kelley Missal as Dani, the Cutter and Natalie romance, Nora's online radio show "The Nightbird", Jerry VeDorn's performance during Clint's intoxicated meltdown, and Jack's "hot for teacher" storyline!

Negatives: Too much focus on Shelter, too much focus on the twentysomething characters (Matthew, Jeffrey, Destiny, Michelle, and Dani), too much focus on Todd/Blair/Tea over the silly tattoo organization storyline, having a discreet vagueness surrounding Cutter's shady dealings (re: the drug and call girl ring) at Shelter, and no explanation on how Cutter got out of that Kentucky prison and escaped murder charges, Cutter and Natalie being broke up too soon by Cutter's lame fling with Nikki the Shelter bartender (why would we care and invest in Cutter and Nikki if we never see their relationship outside of the club on screen, and they haven't been further developed as a couple?), the Dusky character, Viki breaking off her engagement to Clint and Viki acting out of character, the show getting off to a slow start after the Victor Jr. reveal where there were non-emotional reactions from his loved ones except from Tea, Dani, and Jack, and David's lame reality show storyline!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The new headwriters who take over in season 2 were breakdown & dialogue writers in Season 1. So they know the characters. Its not like PP dropped in someone that doesnt know the history

I give the Season a B+

I wish they did more with Natalie and Viki/Dorian but the show really began to gell for me in the last half of the season

• Members

I agree with you on the change in heard writers, because the original ones didn't know anything about the characters on the show (except for Susan Bedsow Horgan, who didn't know how to write for the characters that weren't on the show during the time she was the head writer for the show back in the mid-90's).

• Members

First off, I need to admit I haven't watched every episode, but from what I did see including the last 4 episodes, I'd give it a solid D+.

Positives: The renewed Viki/Dorian feud, Dorian & David's breakup, the potential of Dorian & Carl Peterson, a good recast for Matthew, the concept of Dani's drug addiction, Nora's online radio show (which I hope wasn't a one episode stunt) and Clint's meltdown at the Man of the Year ceremony (although that's marred by his pills having been switched to cause his behavior).

Negatives: That damn tattoo and everything involved with it, including my all-time least fave OLTL couple Todd & Blair, as well as Victor & Tea and the appearance of Allison Perkins; most of the action at Shelter, especially Natalie, Cutter & Nikki, Rama's attempt at an open marriage as well as Dani's quick recovery from her drug problem and her relationship with Arturo; Jack sleeping with his teacher; Matthew's online girlfriend and David's reality show.

• Members

I grade it a C-

Went out in March and bought a Roku so I had the ease of watching it on my TV versus the computer and even still, I lost a lot of interest in the show after around episode 7 or 8. I just didn't care (and I have a 21-year-viewing history with the show).

Same thing applies to All My Children.

• Members

I don't think I can grade OLTL objectively on the whole because it was my first soap and always my favorite I'm still so beyond giddy to have new episodes and probably will be for as long as PP is in this venture. It took me a while to get annoyed by the weeks of endless character moments with little story because I was so thrilled we were getting real character stuff again on OLTL. I also fell hard and fast for the new younger set & was so enthralled with the early heavy focus on them that I almost overlooked a lot of what was not working with other stories because the kids were taking up a lot of airtime & I was enjoying the hell out of that.

I do think this season is also hard to grade because it can almost be broken down into segments (which doesn't I guess say a ton for overall cohesiveness)- the early stuff with Victor where pace was moving at warp speed, then a kind of slumpy late May- June where very little progressed, then from around the 4th of July things started to really get good with the Clint downward spiral, Dani/Arturo and ultimately the Carl entrance. The first few weeks were exciting (although I enjoyed AMC's actual premiere week more which totally was a weird feeling for me), the middle was uneven at best but I can only think of 1 week where I was truly underwhelmed (either week 4 or 5), then the last few weeks were pretty strong & it seemed like a lot of things were gelling & picking up. I can't remember the last time I was completely floored by a soap the way I was with the Jeffrey reveal. For that alone, I give them big points.

A lot can be improved on going forward but I think on the whole, they're leaving it in a good place & they can build on that going forward.

Archived