AMC: Returns with potential

• Members

Camille was his daughter who died trying to stop the explosion, only vaguely remember a tattoo, Adam was at the center of their story and then Hayley too but I don't remember any of the specifics besides that it was not good. There was some type of carnival tie-in were they former carnival workers?

Watching that clip though was fun to see everyone at Holidays. I was not initially happy when it become the very bright Sounds of Salsa. Alexis Manta as Amanda was one of my favorite soap kids ever.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't care for Alexis Manta Ray.

Sounds of Salsa was their lame attempt to capitalize on the Ricky Martin Latin pop boom. I hated Mateo by then so I hated that even more. I hated that they never truly pulled the trigger on Ryan and Hayley and kept her lashed to Mateo because of insecure Mark Consuelos. I hated Raquel, I hated Max, I hated all of it.

IIRC, Adam and Lee Hawkins had fought over the same woman back in Pigeon Hollow or something. This would be at least the third or fourth person Adam beefed with as a young man back in the sticks - including Palmer and Caleb Cooney. It's ridiculous.

• Members

There was a carnival tie in and I believe Hayley was caged in an old carnival store room? LOL and this connected to the tattoo (either sh ad it or Matteo )? Sigh. I remember Camille first showed up vision like outside the Crystal Ball.

Holidays was such a lame name but yeah, initially I liked SOS even less. I admit, in hindsight a lot of this looks more interesting han stuff we got after--but that's probably at least partially nostalgia (and a reflection on how bad some eras truly were...)

"IIRC, Adam and Lee Hawkins had fought over the same woman back in Pigeon Hollow or something. This would be at least the third or fourth person Adam beefed with as a young man back in the sticks - including Palmer and Caleb Cooney. It's ridiculous."

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right. It was another Pigeon Hollow feud over a woman, anyway.

• Members

Yeah, Lee (played by the dude from Friday the 13th, Part 2) took Hayley and J.R. out to some old abandoned carnival and kept 'em in cages. That went on for a while.

I remember Camille's initial appearances wandering/floating in the woods, gaslighting Adam or something. That's all I remember of her. I also remember poor Dimitri around that time being painted as Satan by the writing, raging around the Marick mausoleum or something in a storm, having a tree literally fall on him and then Edmund and Tad and big-haired Gloria using it as an excuse to judge him some more.

• Members

As soon as I typed that about Alexis Manta, I realized that she was probably one of those kids who totally grated & was on too much but being not all that much older myself at the time I didn't notice & now its just a nostalgic thing. I remember when the Olsen twins guest starred for her & I was over the moon. Oh well hopefully my soap taste has evolved over time and it was always a little better with OLTL anyway.

I'm completely with everything you said in the second paragraph. I stopped liking Mateo pretty early on in Hayley/Mateo coupledom (although I rooted for them to get together) and liked the Ryan/Hayley friendship. I loathed Raquel and Max and that brightly colored club.

• Members

I want to say 1998 or 1999- it was in the fall when ABC was pushing their terrible new show that they thought would reinvigorate the slowly dying TGIF line-up- Two of a Kind- that ended up canned in one season. I don't remember all of it but Trevor got them to visit as themselves for Amanda after Harold the dog died to cheer up Amanda. Actually I think that was all of it. I think they might have encouraged her to watch their show but I could be making that up.

That was terrible. And wasn't it fairly soon after or before Hayley was terrorized by Tanner Jordan and buried somewhere? I hated all the Hayley in peril stories that seemingly went on forever and yet there was no sense of jeopardy because you knew Mark Consuelos would eventually save her.

• Members

I loved it when I was a kid because it was so nuts and fun. But I still knew it was terrible.

I believe Tanner was before Hawkins. This is going to make me look up old Camille scenes on YT to try and remember what she was like when she wasn't floating in the trees in a white gown - I can't remember anything else. They kept trying Tad with all these lame women and none of them worked. Didn't McTavish also throw Kit Fisher at him? Ugh.

• Members

While Broderick's tenure flirted with some craziness (Myrtle being Mrs Claus' double, the zombie mess) obviously when they brought McTavish back they encouraged her to bring on the craziness--this was the post DAYS comeback which had essentially taken a lot of AMC's numbers IIRC. But, wow reading all that....

• Members

Here's some of JR--from a McCartney fan so based around him, but it has Lee. I forgot that Marian was trapped in the Merrick mausoleum and hey kept hearing her (I assume Lee put her there...) I will say that I did like that McTavih that go round paired Stuart and Marian (that whole silly Queen of Hearts story with them working in a café out of town, or... something :P ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUhCT0H5MM

• Members

I had a hard time buying into Stuart and Marian for many years - 'she married the retarded twin who wears sweaters!' But I grew to love and appreciate Stuart as I got older (and he's not retarded).

I also never quite bought into Janet and Trevor for similar reasons - she's insane and terrorized everyone he loved for years, and I watched a lot of it - though I am fond of watching their old stuff now. I miss James Kiberd still.

• Members

Tanner was Broderick and I think by far the worse thing she did--it really did seem more like a McTavish bad decision. That was '97 when the ABC soaps were all about getting Australian hunks, preferably ones from Heartbreak High (like the guy on The Cit who I quite liked.)

I think they did try to pair Kit with Tad. I was gonna say Jack but she was his sister, or something right? All these bad blond female characters under McTavish that runthrough.

Archived