New Flowers in the Attic movie: Ellen Burstyn, Heather Graham, Lifetime

EricMontreal22

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cuz Lifetime likes to make campy movies with a built in audience. Because they got some somewhat big names. Because most fans of the original novels hate the extremely watered down movie. Besides, if you like that movie, wouldn't you prefer that this new movie takes a different approach and is more faithful?

(I'm sure you know Wes Craven was originally meant to do the movie in the 80s--his screenplay is online and is, no surprise, much darker.)

• Members

I remember the original movie reshot the ending.. which I think prevented the follow-ups from being made. According to Kristy Swanson, there was talk of making Petals on the Wind.. but changing the ending in FITA really damaged the overall storyline in PATW.

• Members

Holy crap. I posted about watching the original film a few months ago. It was worse than the baddest of bad soap. This sounds right up EB's alley though. She's a friend of a friend, and she's an ordained minister who was going to perform said friend's wedding ceremony. I saw her at Shetler Studios a few years back when she was rehearsing for Flower of East Orange and I was there for an audition. She looked much older than she appears on screen. I enjoyed her in Requiem for a Dream though many felt her Oscar-nominated performance was OTT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I thought this version was better than the original and EB was superb, but it felt so rushed. I don't know that I'll ever get around to reading the books, but that's certainly the only way I'll ever be satisfied with this story. HG is on par with a mediocre to good soap actress, but her "thing" totally worked here. She played the role in such a way that my emotions were split about her.

Archived