Rolling Stone Magazine

Soapsuds

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is part of a trend we've seen more and more of over the last few decades, where much of the media focus, and sympathy, goes to the killer, not to the victim, especially if the killer fits the right profile (attractive, white, male).

• Members

I do think that one of the reasons this picture was chosen to be on their cover is because they thought he was attractive. I think that this is awful. I do feel like they are trying to romanticize/give him some sort of rock star image, and it's terrible. They have his picture up there like he's a rock star like Kurt Cobain/Jim Morrison or John Lennon were. I don't think too many people care about what type of promise he had because he terrorized and killed people. It's not like he was a celebrity before he bombed Boston and they are trying to figure out what made him go wrong.

He's someone that no one knew outside of his family/friends/acquaintance who decided to kill people much like many other criminals have done before him. The other criminals didn't deserve magazine covers on RollingStone and neither does he. I could understand more if this was a cover for a magazine like Time or Newsweek, because they do cover stories about violence and crime in America but Rollingstone is a pop culture magazine. I think it would have been okay if they wrote an article about him without including the picture that they did of him on their cover.

• Members

To be fair, they did put Charles Manson on the cover decades ago but in this day and age, this sort of irresponsibility is unacceptable. It is just going to feed the crazies and fuel the "effed up ish gets you famous" mantra that Scream 4 so well illustrated.

• Members

Ok those are news magazines and they weren't making Osama out to be some tragic hero.

Rolling Stone is a pop culture magazine and the cover story is some sob story about the bomber and painting him as a victim which is absolutely a disgrace to the memory of those he killed and the ones he injured.

• Members

I don't think they are trying to make a hero out of him, they are trying to psychologically analyze why people become sociopathic like that. Maybe it IS a sob story, but also... maybe it's a cautionary tale that needs to be told, a kind of "don't do this to your children, or they will become a terrorist".

Archived