Netflix: Orange Is The New Black: Discussion Thread

ChitHappens

• Members

ICAM! It really disturbed me that characters like Nicky (who is sort of like the Nancy Hughes/Greek chorus here) made it out to look like Christopher was an !@#$%^&*] for not returning Morello's feelings. I'm all for showing the prisoners as human, but they did very little to show the base of Lorna's stalking to at least get us to understand her internal motives. Her, Vee, and Cindy are the only characters (besides The Four-Eyed Bitch) that never really felt bad for.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's easy to sympathize with most of these women because they have committed general crimes against society, but not brutal violent crimes against individuals. Miss Claudette may be the exception, but it was very easy to understand why she killed the man who beat and raped that little girl.

Morello's crime has a clear victim and I think many of us have experience some level of stalking or know someone who has, so we know how damaging it can be.

I will say this show has made me feel more compassion for prisoners overall. When I was younger I did feel that way and then I sort of became more hardened when I saw some people getting low sentences for rape and murder. I guess this show has brought me back to a place of feeling that every prisoner deserves the basics of human dignity.

Also, that there has to be some sort of reasonable sentencing structure, so that some people don't spend more time in jail for low level drug or property crimes than others do for crimes against the person.

• Members

Just watched episodes 2.11 and 2.12. Greatness. I particularly enjoyed all the stuff with the flood, everyone sleeping in the same hall, Boo telling Pen about the 'gay agenda,' Poussey and Taystee having it out, Lorna having a great moment with Rosa. Vee... wow! I even felt a little sad for Fig, seeing her husband kissing their male assistant. It seems as if Piper and Caputo will work together to get rid of Fig. And Vee's brutal attack on Red after Red spares her life. Bitch!

I can't wait for the season ending. I've been warned the last 20 minutes are insane!

• Members

YES HONEY!!!

Rosa taking the van and running Vee over? Epic! Vee is the perfect example of a GREAT season arc/villain. She sure did come in and f.uck [!@#$%^&*] right up--and she got a great ending scene to boot! Love it. She's a big part of why this season was even better than the first.

Piper is exactly what she's supposed to be: An overprivileged white woman who thinks she's better than everyone else and believes she doesn't deserve to be there. And I'm fine with that, especially since it rings true and other inmates call her out on it all the time. And what she did to Alex? Greatness. Although Alex continues to be her wonderful self and I just don't want to see her. Ugh.

So sad about Nicky. She'll eventually break. :(

LMAO at Caputo being called "beer can" in high school and letting Fig blow him even though it wouldn't change anything. But this show made me feel bad for Fig, which I never thought possible. I hope she and her husband aren't gone yet.

Polly and Larry can go f.uck themselves. There is absolutely zero way I could ever feel sympathy for them. Two insipid characters now brought together. Hooray. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just finished watching all of season 1. Piper is ridiculous. Im glad Larry dumped her ass as any sane man would have. He really tried to make it work but she is too much of a hot mess self absorbed with her own drama, not realizing the pain she is inflicting. And why is this show trying to pretend as if she's a natural blonde? Larry's dad made some line about that in episode 9, yet her hair looks like absolute sh-t. I need Sophia to touch up her roots, like ASAP

At first, I was digging Daya until we learned her hoeish ass slept with her mother's bf. Then she goes and f--ks Bennet and later pretty much prostitutes herself out for Red. I guess one cant blame her considering how much of a mess her mother is, but dang, she is no innocent

0c906ec1a7b962df745bee0f8b70c10d.jpg

Speaking of Bennett, damn he is fine. Id be all over that as well.

pablo-schreiber.jpg

I had no clue he was the hot guy from one of the last seasons of Weeds. They really made him unattractive here.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-19-at-12.47.55.png

I knew he looked familiar. He was in Weeds to

21384ed6ebbe4d01417db1cc06ca06d1.jpg

Love Nicky. Girl could use a relaxer and then a comb

Taystee5.gif

Love her! I knew her ass would end up back in jail. Same thing happened with Tina on Bad Girls. I only wish we had seen more of her on the outside. I pretty much love all the black girls with one exception but she's my favorite.

I really dont like Alex's ass.

sue2.jpg

I also cant stand this disgusting creature. Her peeing on the floor was absolutely gross

pennsatucky.gif?w=500&h=273

Oh god, I HATE the Jesus Freak. I got no greater joy from watching this show as I did when Piper beat her ass. I was rooting for her to kill her and Im kinda hoping she did. I would not be able to handle this bitch. She needed to be in a psych ward, not prison

• Members

I like Alex, but that's probably because I've always loved Laura Prepon.

I find Jason Biggs' character (along with Piper's friend) to be a part of the show that could be easily dropped.

• Members

I can't stand Larry and that's because of the actor. He's actually playing a type that I could love, but Jason Biggs rubs me the wrong way. Plus, I find it impossible that someone as reckless as Piper could have been with Larry for more than a hook up.

Archived