Fruitvale Station

VirginiaHamilton

• Members

Just came back from seeing this in the theater and wanted to know if anyone else had a chance to / will plan on doing so:

220px-Fruitvale_Station_poster.jpg

I will say that those who are looking for an action-packed narrative may think it boring, since it unfolds as another day in the life of someone (until it tragically becomes his last). IMO, I thought that Coogler's portrayal of those 'quiet' moments made the atrocity that unfolded onscreen that much more painful for me to watch (especially in light of the fuckery that occurred at 10PM last night).

While I definitely cosign the golden reviews over Reggie Montgomery's performance (and will be rooting for him to sweep all that gold come awards season), Octavia Spencer was also fantastic to warrant a supporting actress nod.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just got back from viewing this. To sum it up in one word - Wow.

I thought this was a masterfully told piece, from beginning to end. I loved that it followed his last 24 hours, and his last 24 hours only. It would have been easy to drag this movie on for 2 and a half hours, showing his childhood, descent into troubled times, and eventually moving into the aftermath of his death. However, I thing Coogler took the riskier move and kept it tight, cutting it off just after his death. At just one hour and 25 minutes, this movie packed more punch than any I've seen in some time.

First and foremost, the acting was superb.

Michael B. Jordan gave a very nuanced performance. He never went over the top. You could really see the motivation behind everything the character did. That's a true gift. Bravo to him for that.

For me, the breakout star was Melonie Diaz. Her performance was positively stunning. I think this is just the beginning for her, we will be hearing from/about her for many years to come. I am so glad that they went with an unknown, it paid off. It would have been very easy to go with the Selena Gomez type (who would have been completely wrong for the role, but would have jumped all over it to shed the Disney cred. A lesser director would have done it, too). Diaz was the first one to get me to cry in the film. She owned this role.

Last, but certainly not least, there is the divine Octavia Spencer. She was simply outstanding. Her performance, IMO, showed the most skill as an actor. A lesser actress would have been all over the potential theatrics, the stereotypical screaming, crying, sobbing, throwing themselves on the ground. But Octavia knew better. This wasn't her piece. This wasn't her time to do that. And thus she delivered a performance so subtle, heartbreaking and chilling that it was almost haunting. I believed every word out of her mouth.

All in all, the film was a roller coaster of emotion but an extremely poignant tale that served well to exploit the dangers of this world, as well as the injustices within it. I would recommend it to anyone, though I warn you it isn't easy to get through. It may be "slow", but it never misses an emotional beat.

As an aside, I say that it may be far too soon to discuss awards season, but I will say this:

I would not be at all surprised if Michael B. Jordan nabs a Best Actor Oscar nod.

I will be stunned if Octavia Spencer isn't nominated for supporting actress.

I will be severely disappointed if Melonie Diaz doesn't get nominated, but I fear she is the easiest to overlook here. Despite her beautiful performance, I fear she may be far from the Academy's minds. Not because they will downplay her performance, but because Octavia Spencer is a given, and a draw, and this is "Michael B. Jordan's movie" so to speak. I fear she may be overlooked sheerly because they won't want to nominate both actresses in the same category, but I hope I am incorrect.

• Members

I remember Melonie from Raising Victor Vargas and aside from Victor Rasuk, she's the only one out of that cast that is working steadily in Hollywood. Though I wasn't as taken by her as I was by Octavia, I won't be mad if this flick raises her profile in Hollywood.

That part where Oscar realizes that he's been shot was what truly killed me. As flawed a young man as he was, the realization that he hadn't been given a true opportunity to succeed in righting his wrongs was/is heartbreaking.

• Members

This was more of a documentary for me. The performances were great, but there wasn't enough of any one person for me to even consider anyone Oscar worthy. However, Octavia Spencer proved that the Oscar she did receive for The Help wasn't a "um, really?" She could do some serious damage in Hollywood, and it's high time Viola Davis got some help out there!

I didn't find this to be a story of Fruitvale Station, only this is where Oscar Grant's life ended. I would have liked to have seen more of the aftermath. Too much time was wasted on Oscar's time before the shooting, especially when it meant nothing to the climax of the film. I don't care if he was sympathetic to dogs. The fact that he spent time in prison was meaningless because what did that have to do with him being murdered? One hour and 25 minutes does not do this movie justice.

On the bright side, this young film maker has quite the future ahead of him. How he managed to get Forest Whitaker and Octavia as producers (Octavia was an EP) is super impressive. I'd love to know how he went about everything he did for this movie because that is a story that needs to be told. Although I found the film incredibly lacking, I didn't hate it [and this young man could show Toilet Paper a thing or two].

Lastly, if nothing else, this film puts out a reminder that Johanne is still out there and needs to be dealt with. Time for someone to make good on those threats!

Kevin Durand wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

• Members

I actually think that the short length of this movie worked to its advantage - especially since it was about the last day of his life. A longer length would've made it tedious watching and that would've taken away from the strength of the movie.

That said, I think that showcasing Oscar as an ex-con/dealer/cheater was a way for Coogler to not sanctify the character/young man (especially since certain people would've taken umbrage at the movie not 'telling the whole truth'). Fortunately, IMO, this didn't undermine the movie or the message that it put out there (which was that that young man didn't deserve to die).

Frankly (even though it's a long shot), OS winning another Oscar for this role will surely go a long way in making up for the crap that was The Help in my eyes.

Finally, I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer in the midst of all my praise, but my worry about Ryan Coogler is that the rising profile will eventually lead him to an impasse, where he has to choose between being barely employed (like half of the young Black directing talent that came out in the late 80s-early 90s) or making soulless blockbusters to pay the bills (John Singleton, Antoine Fuqua, F. Gary Gray, etc.).

• Members

I completely understand what you are saying, but I just feel that if the film was named FVS, it should have been about that and not just the last day of his life. I would have called it Oscar if I were only going to tell the story of Oscar. Fruitvale is synonomous with many things, and that entire story should have been told.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived