AMC: Week Of July 8, 2013 Discussion

• Members

Jesse is one fine-looking man, but he's also acting like a horrible husband right now. I love Angie and Jesse, too, but let's not pretend that he isn't shutting her out while running all around town trying to cover up his lies and deceit when he should be with Angie at Cassandra's side.

As for Angie throwing away the Bible, she did it a while ago. Angie isn't as pure as the driven snow and thank God for it, because she'd be significantly less interesting right now if she was.

Angie wouldn't be leaning on David so much if HER HUSBAND was there for her to lean on.

Jesse needs to be a man, face and admit the truth, and then maybe he and Angie can work on healing and being there for Cassandra together.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just in time for the next week - Episode 38:

I appreciated J.R. and Cara actually talking out their deceit, but I found it slightly far-fetched that they thought they could pass Leticia off as someone else to most of PV. Not that most of the Chandler household paid attention to Cara back then, but Opal might remember. Still, that's one person and Tad is gone, so maybe it's not that big a deal.

Really liked Brooke and Miranda, though it was brief. Again, they're hitting it in terms of cross-generational interaction in both these episodes in a different way than before, with unexpected but natural social pairings. It's important and solid soap staple stuff. And that is a lot of s's.

Jesse's "oh [!@#$%^&*]" faces of abject terror as Zach and Lea explained the frame-up were priceless. What a damn fool. Darnell is a great actor and a treasure to soaps but he is also an OTT ham at times. And he sells foolish tool Jesse to the hilt.

The J.R./Oliver/A.J. stuff was a perfect beat to play that other soaps today - most soaps today - would have missed, and the actors nailed it. Really appreciated that.

Wow, Zach and Lea already hit it - or so I thought at the beginning of the episode. I really liked the understated performance and naturalistic minimalism of the dialogue there. "Why did you...?" "You know why." You wouldn't have gotten that from network scripts. And I liked that Zach was initially off-guard and she was the one still in control. Their relationship is building nicely and the chemistry really works. He's also less of a pig than before. I love their crime-solving duo [!@#$%^&*].

Maybe I missed something in the editing, but I really thought Zach and Lea had done the deed at first. This of course goes hand in hand with the Bianca and Kendall stuff, which was brief but decent and leading - obviously Kendall's illness is intentionally left hanging, as is Zach's continued attachment to his biggest romance and fanbase. I'm sure the fans went apeshit on FB, and I think that's only fair and right - they were a popular couple. For me, I loved Kendall but I thought she was heavily overexposed by the end and needed a break. I still do. And I was long since sick of Zendall. And while I would never have thought a few months ago that I could have embraced an AMC featuring not Kendall, but instead Zach and a new woman in a new pairing, I have - I really like Zach and Lea, and I like that all through the episode Lea was the one in control, the one who told him what he was thinking while Zach was left floundering. It's been a long time since anyone ever had the upper hand on Zach Slater on AMC.

I can't fault AMC 2.0 for laying out the fanbase/shipper bait for Zendall fans with this story thread - it will guarantee talk and audience views. That said, I hope this isn't all just leading to an eventual reunion for the two the second they can get more of a commitment from Alicia Minshew. I won't fault them at all for teasing it, or for playing a triangle or semi-reunion in the future, but ultimately I want Zach and Kendall to move on to other people. Their relationship will almost certainly always be a factor for the characters, but I don't want it to be the permanent endgame it always was on Frons's ABC.

I also will say I was incredibly disappointed that A.J. was not doing the air guitar naked at the end a la the pilot. Thanks Obama!

Archived