AMC: Week Of July 8, 2013 Discussion

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think some people get the words "fact" and "opinion" mixed up. It's fine to state your opinion, but other people are going to have other opinions that are no more and no less valid than yours.

Facts don't necessarily need to be backed up, unless by more facts.

When discussing opinions, then, yes, informed opinions are in fact designed to be backed up with reasonable dialogue. Repeating the same thing over and over is a waste of everyone's time.

• Members

Actually he could have been Wisner Washam's creation. Agnes was, I believe, very involved in setting up Loving at the time--besides which, as many soap books point out, around 1979 she gave more and more of the headwriting duties to Wisner. She was still VERY involved--pretty much as a headwriter even when not credited, but many of the ideas and stories were Washam's.

• Members

When were these fan focus groups? I'm trying to remember when Greenlee was away. It's true that Agnes didn't want Jesse to die on screen--she has said as much in the Paley seminar interviews on her site--but that was written during the 1988 writer's strike. However, I've heard that the *suggestion* to bring on Angie and Jess was Brown/Esensten's who were writing at the time (one of their few great ideas during their period at AMC) and who knew Angie (and Darnell as Jacob) because they had written the final year of Loving and of course created,with Nixon, The City and were its headwriters. But I have no doubt Agnes played a part.

• Members

So I'm finally getting to this week's shows, because I've been horribly sick and am still recovering. Anyway, Episode 37:

I really enjoyed this. It seemed like a slower, easier show designed to start integrating the vets and the kids more - starting with Zach and Miranda was a very nice touch and I really loved that stuff. It's easy to forget that they would and should be close when most soaps today would forget to put them together, but here you believe in them as family, you remember the background from ABC, all the rich history and layering. He needs more stuff like that to soften the character up from the shitheel he became on TV, though I have really enjoyed TK on the new show overall. Showing them together, as well as Lea, as well as Dimitri and Brooke with the girls also provides an important demarcation throughout this episode - this is one generation and this is the next, and here they all are together. That is the essence of soap opera.

Same thing with Pete and the kids, to an extent. I really liked that because it made sense he would go to A.J. Chandler for advice on his teen-centric app, and I liked all that stuff because I like Pete the businessman. And I thought they all played well together and it was clear Pete was just a little older. The stuff with A.J., Miranda and Heather was nicely done, and real, even for just simple, piddling bits of domestic business - I've been there as a kid when one person wants to see one thing and others want another, and it sometimes means more than it does on the surface.

Dimitri and Brooke: Excellent. I liked the Colby and Celia stuff at first because I almost thought she wasn't playing her, but then, frankly, watching Newton and JLP together was painful. Newton is way too much all the time and Price just seems lost. If BN can calm down she could be great - the character is there. I don't know if she is. There was a little more to her when she watched Brooke on the phone, and when she was talking to the grown-ups. Mostly I'm just looking forward to the gala.

I don't know that much of Angie's background with this sort of thing but I have a hard time buying Angie would oppose an abortion. I think the story is a worthy one, including her perspective on it, and I don't think I'd protest it if she turns out to be the one pushing for Cass not to abort because I think that's a brave choice for story - and I think it's important to finally tell a real story about abortion being a decent choice on soaps again. I think it's very good drama. But I just - admittedly, I started watching her when she was on Loving but I'm not sure I've ever known Angie to be one to push for this. I'm reserving judgment. That said, the scenes were very good.

Another great day with AMC. Oh, and Zach and Lea's kiss was well-earned.

• Members

Good points about Colby/Celia. I think BN will calm down over time. She may be more affected by who her scene partner is. Bless her heart, Price may have impressed more in her audition than she is able to bring on a day to day basis. She does seem lost at times. With the smaller cast and shorter show, I am not sure they have time to train actors at this point.

I have no problem believing Angie would have a hard time with the abortion issue. She is religious enough. This thorny issue is different when it's someone else and when it's in your own family and friends. I can see Angie giving good advice to a patient in this situation, but Cass is her daughter.

• Members

Jesse is a handsome wonderful husband. Angie throwing away her bible lose her prayerful religion and be a disrespectful bad mother and horrible wife. Bad wife and bad mother just for a cheating on Jesse with Dr. Evil oh I mean David criminal David.

Archived