Aesthetics of a daytime soap?

• Members

random question, I know, but what does this aesthetics mean?? I think I know the answer but some executive producers complain about it when they take over a show. I know linda gottlieb did it when she took over OLTL from paul rauch and JFP did the same about wendy riche at GH, something about the look of the show! paul rauch also did the same at GL when he took over!! what does this mean exactly? is it the shows were cheap looking? could someone explain this to me? im lost lol

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Aesthetics basically has to do with visual things like set design and lighting...if something is aesthetic pleasing it means that it looks good. That's how it is used when it comes to soaps.

• Members

I think sometimes it's not so much about a show looking bad before as a new producer wanting his or her vision of the show. GL didn't look great when Rauch arrived (I remember an especially ugly Company redesign), but it looked decent enough. I remember a few months into his tenure how some of the sets suddenly looked much bigger. The diner suddenly had bigger seats and was more like something out of a children's show. They also got a big new courthouse set. He did keep some sets relatively similar to their old style (Vanessa/later Reva's house, the Spaulding sets, the Bauer kitchen and backyard).

He also turned the lighting way, way up, and women started wearing power suits all the time, like sexy politician parodies.

Archived