AMC: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 Discussion

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a prude by any means, and sometimes have the mouth of a sailor, but the cursing, especially in the last episode, was a bit much. It also makes the kids sound less than intelligent that they can't think, they just spit out the language... plus it make them very rude when they speak that way in front of adults.

AJ swearing in front of his grandfather, and Adam not calling him on it, seems out of character for Adam.

• Members

I personally curse like a sailor and rarely notice it on the shows. And as far as international distribution, if we're talking Europe and Aistralia cursing won't be an issue at all. I don't think a lot of people realize what prudes we are in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought this was the best episode so far. Many scenes had a good pace and seemed to move stories forward.

My favorite scenes had to be Opal and David, especially when she walked into her living room and there he was, smug as everything. Great work from Jill and Vincent, perfect characterizations. While I was a little baffled about David leaping to hold a big press conference (in a coffee house...I know they have a budget but wouldn't that scene have made more sense at the hospital?) to force Pete to work with him, I was very happy to see Dean finally being proactive again.

There was so much bad acting in the scenes with Pete and Celia, but at least the writing is trying to add layers to their personalities, which can compensate for bad acting. And I got to laugh at Pete in the last scenes, which is the strong emotion I've felt for him thus far.

The Billy Clyde scenes seemed relatively pointless, as he had no real impact on Jesse/Zach/Lea, but I did like seeing him show that he's still a force (and the guy who played the john he blackmailed was good and also somewhat attractive - he should have been put in a larger role). When he pulled out the knife he actually seemed menacing. And points to "Sodomite" actually being used in a more proper context than it normally is.

I thought Darnell was restrained in his reaction Cassandra being beaten on the tape. The attempts to keep the truth from Jesse and Jesse figuring it out anyway made me feel for him. I thought these were all decent scenes. I'm sorry that terrific cliffhanger was ruined by the preview giving everything away.

The Miranda/AJ set was probably the weakest spot of the episode, although Hunter is unintentionally amusing. The guy who plays AJ's friend can't act for [!@#$%^&*] (that's for you AJ!), but he has that look casting people will eat up. If AMC doesn't keep him around I think we'll be seeing him somewhere else. I had forgotten Heather was Celia's friend, not Miranda's. Everyone in that group clearing out offcamera before David's press conference was odd.

The bad guys in Cassandra's story actually seems like believable bad guys, even if there is sometimes a weird UST between them. That slap the boss gave the flunky almost looked real.

Ryan Bittle is still wooden but he has some powerful moments, and the deep intensity I would expect of JR. I especially liked his realization with Cara that he had mistjudged AJ, and the angst between him and AJ in AJ's room. With more time I think Bittle will be a great asset to the show. I also like seeing the nuanced emotions from Brooke. That whole conversation with Cara and Brooke was a credit to the writing and to actual human beings on soap opera, not cutouts.

Australian soaps ban cursing (and almost everything else).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, shocking to come here and see everyone rave about this episode. I thought it was quite poor, actually. I'm already sick of Cara Lopez-Fitzgerald and her new found attraction to JR. Speaking of, JR/AJ scenes have not been working for me at all so far, and it's mainly because I'm not liking this weird goober version of JR that RB is playing in those scenes. I don't mind the "changed man" shtick with Brooke, Dixie, and the others, but it's a bore with AJ. And EN is doing too much with the angsty/tortured teen thing.

Still loving Miranda and Denyse's work. Loved Heather's role as the chatty busybody, and Hunter...LOL! I'm fine with him being a glorified extra. The guitar riff can become his leitmotif, only used when he enters and exits the scene for his 10-second line. Dur-nur-nur-nur-NUR-nurrrrrrrr!

David, David, David...sigh. I hate the "Everybody hates David" narrative so much, and they even had Jane, a complete stranger, in on it today. Why does she give a sh!t about JR getting shot? And Opal...ugh. But part of me is looking at David like he's slow because why is Pine Valley his "home" when all of his loved ones are either dead or out of town and no one he knows in PV actually wants him there besides Angie? At this rate, I'm expecting Margo Flax!!! to randomly show up join the David hate train.

I love me some Rob and always will, but that last scene! Bae! Noooo! First, Celia is a bitchass. If you're gonna go on a weekend getaway with a gorgeous man and not open ya legs, don't spend an hour talking about the fact that you won't open ya legs. Go somewhere with that. Second, the clothes are ugly. Third, Pete randomly flashing out at the TV I guess was also supposed to make her scared of him. Who cares.

Zach is annoying, and so is Jesse, but Lea is okay. I'm sick of Vlad's stankface.

Archived