PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My big fear is that Soap fans always complain about the pace of storylines, ie. too slow or too drawn out and therefore, turning off viewers interest, overall.

They had better wrap up some of these current storylines ASAP and be fully prepared for a nice teen/20 something storyline for the summer giving the fact that schools/colleges are out for the summer, most already right now. To attract this key age demo means a storyline for them to get them interested, overall.

It is obvious that PP is looking for the 18-49 age demo and wants key age demos to tune in. They don't want binge watching but sadly I am thinking they will never get this to happen. Most people probably watch weekends and simply don't have the time during the week.

I am a little concerned about when the cast/crew come back after an extended hiatus and start taping the next block schedule. What will be the numbers at that time? Where will be the interest for staying with watching the show? Stretched too far with storylines?

I am sure that PP will go ahead and fill the year with their already obligated 110 episodes and see 2013 all the way to the end. Now, as 2014 rolls around, therein lies many questions/concerns for the sustainability for the future of the show in its second year. It is my best hope that AMC will get a 2 year run with optional years to negotiate. If there comes a time where PP decides to end the show (financial) or want to move on to other pending projects they have lined up, that a cable network would be gracious enough to put both shows on their schedules for hopes for many more years of AMC and OLTL. and if not, fans and viewers alike would get a proper finale this time around, thus putting the shows to bed forever.

My big fear is that Soap fans always complain about the pace of storylines, ie. too slow or too drawn out and therefore, turning off viewers interest, overall.

They had better wrap up some of these current storylines ASAP and be fully prepared for a nice teen/20 something storyline for the summer giving the fact that schools/colleges are out for the summer, most already right now. To attract this key age demo means a storyline for them to get them interested, overall.

It is obvious that PP is looking for the 18-49 age demo and wants key age demos to tune in. They don't want binge watching but sadly I am thinking they will never get this to happen. Most people probably watch weekends and simply don't have the time during the week.

I am a little concerned about when the cast/crew come back after an extended hiatus and start taping the next block schedule. What will be the numbers at that time? Where will be the interest for staying with watching the show? Stretched too far with storylines?

I am sure that PP will go ahead and fill the year with their already obligated 110 episodes and see 2013 all the way to the end. Now, as 2014 rolls around, therein lies many questions/concerns for the sustainability for the future of the show in its second year. It is my best hope that AMC will get a 2 year run with optional years to negotiate. If there comes a time where PP decides to end the show (financial) or want to move on to other pending projects they have lined up, that a cable network would be gracious enough to put both shows on their schedules for hopes for many more years of AMC and OLTL. and if not, fans and viewers alike would get a proper finale this time around, thus putting the shows to bed forever.

• Members

How can it be ANY more focused on them? As it is it's the Pete/Celia/AJ/Miranda show with a side of Jessie/Angie/Cass and the rest as window dressing.

It's a really big mistake. You don't need teens/20 somethings to draw fans. You need good stories with PROVEN characters. I watched OLTL today and how refreshing. Viki/Clint talking about THEIR wedding. Viki's newspaper troubles. Scenes that were THIER story and didn't have to have one of the teen set be the focus or in the room. Bo/Nora the same. Todd/Blair. Tea. Natalie. ALL get scenes that are about them. Dorian when she's on -- lack of Dorian is on my nerves but that's for a different post and board.

But no one at OLTL designated one of the 'legacy' teens be in some insta romance that the adults only exist to prop. Matthew (whom I can't stand)/Dani are BFFs are on every day but the scenes are shorter. Not the same convo everyday ala AJ/Miranda 'you're the bestest evah/waaah how we suffer'

Either Marlene/Elizabeth need to consult w TR (I WISH it was still SBH) on how to balance and construct or just bring back Lorraine Broderick who they should've moved heaven and earth to get in the first place. She KNOWS the characters and history. These DOOL rejects don't. In what planet does Brooke choose to listen to some dippy teen talk about her first date over seeing the son of the of the love of her life that she thought she was going to adopt when he was still in vitro come out of a FIVE YEAR coma?

The whole point of that was 'we value shoving newbie Celia down your throat and don't GAFF about Brooke so she's more needed so Celia can having a sounding board for the great Pelia love' WTF??

For 24 minute episodes where AMC came with established couples it wasn't a good idea to add the teens as set pairs. Is there a reason Pelia had to be and then on constantly. Audiences will tell who they respond to - predesignated pairings rarely work. AJ/Miranda are cute and the better of the two pairs imo but still don't need them EVERY episode. At least have the 4 hang together so their scenes can be contained like the 'A team' RME on OLTL. Shorten their scenes too. If B&A can have 15 sec scenes why can't they?

And now that it's down to 2 eps it's all the more glaring. I'm watching no matter what because I've been a soap fan since I was 4 and I'm that grateful and dedicated to make this work. If I was just to happen upon AMC to try it out and saw the deal with the 4 teens I wouldn't even bother.

And what 18-49 yr old responds to watching teeny boppers getting together? None I know of. PP is heading into ABC thinking here if that's the MO and haven't we learned that just gets you cancelled?

• Members

THIS!!

I think OLTL has managed a perfectly good balance thus far between the veterans and the young/new characters. I did put a message on OLTL about needing a day or two off from the young set, and I was told quite rudely by someone that the show is aiming for younger viewers. I responded by saying I'm in the 18-35 demo, and that I think one or two days without seeing the younger characters won't kill the show. I even tweeted the EP of OLTL asking for a couple days off from Dani/Matthew/Jeffery.. given that Dorian was absent for 4 episodes. People want to see Dorian a little more often.. more scenes of her with her family, David, and plotting her revenge against Vicki.

I don't want to see photo shoots of Matthew/Dani.. nor drunken truth or dare scenes between the three of them. If Jack wasn't such a weak actor, then we'd probably be on Jack overload.. but so far, they have wisely put him in scenes with Victor/Todd/Dorian/Blair/Vicki.. so we are getting to know him better.

AMC has the two teen couples, but I don't really know any of the 4. I think it would have been wiser to have introduced all 4 of them as support for the veterans stories. I already have more invested in Cassandra, due to the fact that Zach, David, Angie, and Jesse have a lot invested in finding her. Plus, we are seeing all of those characters having conversations that don't always revolve around Cassandra.

On the other hand, we have Opal, Dixie, Brooke, Adam, and Bianca basically being shown as support toward Pete/Celia/AJ/Miranda. They threw a line about Dixie being a therapist? I want to know what Dixie has done for five years other then sitting by JR's bedside.. I want to know what Opal has been up to, and I want to see Brooke and Adam at work.. Brooke runs the Miranda Center and Chandler E now.. and where is Adam been going? These are questions I want to know about.. and as these stories are going on, we can get to know the 4 new young characters.

• Members

One thing is for certain, when cast/crew come back it will be jumpstarting the show all over again, like rebooting the reboot. I can only hope that post production issues/writing issues and other things can be resolved.

You are probably right about the HeadWriter thing. But it is what it is and we can't go back. Lorraine Broderick would have been alot better.

The biggest issue is filling the 30-40 age demo gap/hole that is present right now. This is a key age demo for advertisers for sure.

• Members

Yes, but at least OLTL has provided stories for their veteran characters. My mom was a big AMC fan and hadn't watch OLTL consistently since 1983/1984, but is finding herself more interested in OLTL this goaround so far. Of course, my mom is a big political fan.. and likes the CIA/Dorian's politics/Vicki's newspaper story much better then the human trafficking story so far.

• Members

This may be unpopular but Fans fought 2 years for all my children & one life to live . They are back but some still BITCH about not being enough episodes. Really just support the shows U supposedly wanted back. Now some wanna give up. Really U watched all the way on ABC & are gonna give up after just a month. I want the true soap fans back. Not these fair weathered fans who are greedy, childish and ME ME ME screw everyone else, UGHHH.

• Members

why do you keep concerning yourself with how people feel about the recent decisions? You love it? That's great! Continue to support it as you have. Theres no point in getting so worked up and heated bc others aren't feeling the cuts

• Members

Don't know whether this has been posted elsewhere but TOLN has posted the premiere episodes of AMC/OLTL on You Tube.

I hope they continue to upload episodes a few weeks after they debut on Hulu and iTunes.

The casts are pretty diverse and could appeal to a broader audience (of course the stories would need to get tighter and improve).

Maybe You Tube could also insert ads the way Hulu does. Who knows?

• Members

I tend to agree. Yes, AMC has always been a show about young people; and yes, three of the characters, we know and remember from before. However, two of those three have been SORAS'ed, and all are portrayed by actors who are new to the show. You don't have to keep them as supporting characters forever. You can move them to the forefront gradually as we become more accustomed to them. But it wouldn't have hurt to see them interacting primarily with veteran characters first, if only to see them in scenes that aren't necessarily part of their own storyline.

Archived