AMC - Monday, April 29, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, finally. I was gonna rewatch and then post my thoughts since it's been nearly 12 hours later, but I'm gonna go off of memory before rewatching. Keep in mind that none of these are complaints just observations/thoughts. Or I'll just watch while writing this post.

~ I was not expecting them to start right away with flashbacks to "that night five years ago." I honestly thought it would open a brighter note, with the montage of Pete driving into town.

~ I knew it was real as soon as "created by AGNES NIXON" faded onto the screen.

~ Let me just echo the Adam/Brooke comments. Something was definitely off with them, but I think it might just be JB and DC having to get themselves back into these characters that they played for so long and then suddenly stopped playing for a couple of years. I trust them.

~ Judging from AJ's reaction to Brooke's daymare, could it be guessed that Brooke (and Adam?) have just returned to town? In a "I thought I was over that night until I came back to Pine Valley, and then the nightmares started" way. I feel like AJ could be annoyed because the past was behind them all until Brooke came back and stirred it all up again.

~ I'm not a huge David/Cara person, and I'm still so-so about Lindsey Korman, but damn, Vincent is fine. He heard yall laughing at his gut and is like "What nah?" Love Griff, as always.

~ Opal seems sad/lonely/depressed. When my boo was driving into town, he passed by a "High School Ln." Hopefully, they did some exterior shots at that high school, because it would be cool to see that type of stuff on a soap. Some quick Google Map'ing tells me that it's Darien High School in Darien, CT, but it might be too modern to stand in for PVH.

~ Pine Valley has a Mobil, yall!

~ Angie and Jesse serving up that sexy 80s AMC supercouple realness, yall! If you'd told me 10 years ago that these two would be a prominent part of AMC once again, I'd have thought you were crazy. That house is GORGEOUS.

~ All you side bitches talkin' 'bout "Oh, Pete is a cutie" "Rob's hot" "That new Petey is a looker" LOL SITCHALLAZZDOWN. I haven't the time for the foolery, hunties.

~ No, for real, Rob is a flawless beauty, especially that smile. Opal, meanwhile, seems to be deep in depression/sadness/loneliness. Palmer's dead, Myrt's dead, Erica's presumably gallivanting around the world, Tad is "gone," and Pete, up until now, was absent from PV. Hopefully we learn that she has some kind of life outside of that manor. I really hope they tap into Pete and Opal's mother-son relationship, because they were extremely close when he was growing up, and it only makes sense that, even though he might roll his eyes at some of her quirks, he'll still love and defend her until the end of time. Instead of having him racing to leave town, I want them to show him as being genuinely glad to spend time with her -- it's not apathy that keeps him away, just business.

~ Will Cady ever return to this show without spending an episode or two in a room by herself?

~ My guess for who's in a coma is Tad.

~ The opening. It looked cheap as hell this morning, and it still does, but not as bad. The pairings kinda remind me of ATWT's last full opening, with some pairings making sense, but others being more WTF, but it remains to be seen if they'll make sense later. I love the song, but I would rather something with more momentum, but it's good. The house that's behind the logo at the end...isn't that the old Cortlandt Manor exterior? Didn't someone say in the in-production thread that the house somewhere near Stamford?

~ Rob's smile, tho...

~ The teaser was kinda choppy, but the transitions got better as the ep went along.

~ I think the Brooke/Adam scenes are off-pitch because it feels like a continuation of something we haven't seen. They didn't do much to establish anything between the two of them, and we already saw them get engaged, so the proposal was unnecessary and ineffective.

~ Looka AJ rock out with his cock out! I think in a matter of seconds, they kinda calmed down the idea of them going all-out with nudity and cussing. That scene could have easily included a glance of ass (looks like EN's got a lil sumn going on back there, too), but it didn't, and "Sh!t!" was so natural to the point of not being notable. Good job, AMC.

~ AJ and Miranda are definitely Dawson and Joey, but I'm down with that, as long as they're not written as assholishly as Dawson and Joey originally were. I love that line "No one messes with my people. And you are my number-one people." I agree with everyone else, DT is totally a Kane and perfectly cast.

~ Random observations of AJ's room. There seems to be another building directly outside his window, or maybe that was just another wing of the mansion? And he has a picture of a dog in there, so apparently the Chandlers had a dog somewhere in the five-year jump or SORAS-land.

~ Angie and Jesse, again, perfect. LOL at that bum line about Lucy's haughty ass graduating and getting a grown-woman job. Glad they mentioned the kids (they didn't mention Brot or Randi, but I assume that's because Angie was only talking about her and Jesse's actual offspring). Hopefully, we learn what's going on, but I'll assume Frankie/Randi are still together as are Brot/Natalia until we learn otherwise.

~ "Pete" vs. "Petey" is awesome, and I hope they keep it up with Opal calling him Petey. It'd be awesome if his eventual girlfriend (or boyfriend? hmm? hmmmm???) called him "Peter."

~ Some of the editing is a little off, as well, especially immediately following Pete's line "It's what Dad would have done," but that's just me nitpicking.

~ Okay, once again, clearly, I slept on EN, because he's got some body underneath that sweater. It felt weird to have Brooke ask Miranda about "Bianca" as opposed to "Your mother."

~ Yes, the interior of PVH still has that old-fashioned look to it. LOL at that guitar riff. Meanwhile, Miranda is *parched* behind Hunter and AJ. I think she wants Hunter for the prestige of being with a popular guy, but she wouldn't be against getting her kitty scratched by AJ.

~ Okay yeah, Cara and Griff's patient is Tad. The guy lying in the bed is clearly a stand-in for MEK, and the dialogue supports it.

~ Vincent Irizarry has emerged as AMC's leading man, and I couldn't be happier. He's a soap legend, a fine actor, and great person.

~ YASSS to my boo snatching wigs and slaying dreams on that business call.

~ Darnell and Debbi...sigh. They've been doing this off-and-on for 30 years, and they never miss a beat. OMG Cassandra's phone, tho! I can't deal, girl! It's 2013 2016 2018, sh!t I don't know what year it is, but you can do better! It's funny listening to Pete spout off about the wave of the future while Cassandra's got a Tracfone.

~ Not crazy about the Pete/Celia meet-cute. I was following it until that infamous line. "You must think I'm so weird." And then she proceeds to share her current life plans with a complete stranger on the street, and he responds with his. I'm gonna need more than this to get behind them as a couple, but right now, I'm optimistic. I'm assuming Celia's alma mater is not PVH, so it's probably unlikely that she'll be involved with that group.

~ I feel like Adam might be dying of Alzheimer's. Earlier, he said he "wasn't here," and now it seems like he's signing over Chandler Enterprises to Brooke.

~ That guitar riff is too much! It sounds like something from Big Time Rush. As a high school teacher, these scenes are interesting to me. The girls standing in the background are actually admiring the trophy case! Funny how Miranda's justification to AJ for freaking out over Hunter is "All the girls like him, he's the hottest guy in school," almost as if to say "He's the hottest guy in school, all the girls like him, so why don't you think he's hot?" Po' AJ, though. I always find this type of thing interesting, though, because I wonder if he's ever told Miranda about his feelings for her or if she's picked up on them or whatever. That drastically changes the timbre of the story.

~ Yes, I love that Pete never once rolled his eyes or soured up after Opal intimated her scrapbooking and tai chi plans. That boy loves his mother!

~ Celia's school must be a boarding school, if she has a bedroom and what-not. Frank James comes in and immediately starts killing me softly! I'm looking forward to plenty of scenes between these two.

~ I'm guessing David and JR fought over the gun, and Marissa was shot in the process.

Soooo, after all that, I must say that I'm very excited to get back to Pine Valley! There are differences, but for me, all of the things I actually liked about the last year or two are still there, even if all of the characters I liked aren't. Some of the acting was green, but this is only episode one, so I know it'll get better. Aesthetically, I'm not completely sold on allllll of the exterior work just yet (still looks pretty grey to me), but again, I know it'll improve.

Welcome back, show :)

• Members
  • Members

I've been reading other comments around online, and I'm not really understanding people saying that this episode was so "lighthearted".

Let's review:

-We start with someone having a nightmare regarding 2 men (David and JR) struggling over a gun; shots are heard and we see the dreamer is Brooke. She's obviously traumatized and on the verge of tears after the dream is over.

-We find out David was in prison for 5 years for manslaughter; he later travels to a cemetery and is seen weeping at a grave.

-Dixie is seen alone in a bedroom, lonely and heartbroken.

-Cara and Griffin are at PVH, overseeing someone in a coma; things are personal, tense and they were obviously very familiar with this patient when they were in a healthier state. Is this person Tad? JR?

-Celia, a seemingly eccentric girl with some secret goes back to her dwelling; she's later grilled by a strict older woman (some authority figure to her) over a condom.

-Jesse and Angie's daughter has apparently been abducted en route to Pine Valley.

Sure, the Petey/Opal scenes were cute and the playful teasing between AJ & Miranda was sweet. But I wouldn't call this episode "lighthearted", LOL.

It sort of had a Twin Peaks vibe to me (if anyone is familiar w/ that show).

Archived