AMC - Monday, April 29, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

I haven't watched All My Children since my mother and grandmother watched, which was nearly twenty years ago and all I really paid attention to then was the tornado storyline. It's really a new soap opera to me.

Not really feeling the opening, the theme song reminds me of Passions' theme song and that song was annoying. That aside, it does fit with the show.

I liked Jesse and Angie right away, from what little I saw, they seemed to be a well-written couple and played by some great actors. Plus, I'm a fan of Debbi Morgan, as I've seen her act in other things and she's always great.

The outdoor scenes were sharp and clear, when Pete was driving around town, it was really well put together and it seems attention was paid to detail by the producers.

As with One Life to Live, I think the scene transitions were seamless.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think one of the reasons I liked OLTL's premiere a bit more was because it was centered on an event. Not that I want Marlene McPherson to do what she did with Days' Town Square mess, but a lot of things felt isolated -- like David's return and Brooke seeming to be the only one still affected by what happened five years ago.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and thought it was good, it just wasn't totally riveting to me. It didn't feel particularly modern and seemed like the first episode of a soap opera if it were to debut in the '70s.

• Members

It might be too early to assume, but I have a feeling that the shooting event from five years ago has fractured the town and community.. thus why we are seeing characters/scenes being isolated as opposed to OLTL's first episode.

AMC was always about family, friends, and the community so perhaps the early episodes will detail how the community/town come together again as a family... so to speak.

The one soap opera trope that I did notice play out was the arrival/return of characters. Most soaps always open with the arrival of a new character, or a major event so it was nice to see the first episode open up with the arrival of Petey Cortlandt and the impending return of Dr. David Hayward :)

• Members

So even if people are paired together in the opening, the only ones ACTUALLY shot together are Dixie and JR, David and Cara, Jesse and Angie, Celia and Pete and Lea and Zach. I guess we know the tentpole couples (other than Dixie and JR, of course lol). Not gonna lie, surprised to see Lea and Zach sharing a shot and theirs looked especially cheap TBH.

• Members

So upon rewatch I'm starting to pull out the questions that got introduced:

1.) After Adam proposed to Brooke, he said he had a big favor to ask her. Later in the ep, she was signing a paper and he said that she was the only person he knows would never betray him.

2.) David was in jail for manslaughter, JR wasn't even mentioned, Opal said Tad was "gone" and there's a mystery patient at PVH. We really have no idea what happened "five years ago" or the fallout from it.

3.) We don't know who is buried in that grave. (Yes, I assume it's Marissa too but technically we don't know.)

4.) Apparently Evelyn has something against condoms. WTF?

• Members

Looking at my Previously banner, theres a lot of things that need to be answered

What happened to Zach and Kendall's marriage?

Bianca and Marissa don't seem to be an item. What happened to Marissa?

Did Brot and Natalia get married?

Did Randi and Frankie ever have a baby?

Where are all those couples? Ditto on Rylee, Jake/Amanda and Scott/Madison

Did Erica ever win Jack back? Was her movie produced?

What was JR's fate?

Are Stuart and Marion still in PV?

What happened to Tad? Why is Dixie alone? Where are the girls?

What happened to Cara's baby?

About the only thing that was answered was:

Lucy at 5 years old graduated and moved to Portland, by herself

Archived