ALL: Changes in voices/enunciation?

• Members

I've noticed...especially since the mid-80's, that the voices of many actors involved in soaps changed. I find it a hobby watching old episodes of GH/Y&R/OLTL and I can't help but notice that actors' voices were generally deeper and fuller. Is it because...

*The turn toward casting more hair models over theatre or acting-trained professionals causing the voices to be more "commercial"?
*The decline in smoking in the population as a whole causing less of that "throaty/raspy" effect?
*(Specifically for men) A turn away from hairy chests and overly macho displays being sexually desirable...replaced by abs and pecs and smoother voices?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R seems to be a big one when it comes to changing voices.Especially the women.

Jeanne Cooper has always had that smoky gruff voice but up to the 00's It was more clear and yes deeper sounding, and unfortunately now it's beginning to become more and more harder to understand when she speaks....even though she hasn't been feeling well most of the year.

Then of course we have Tracey Bregman's notorious nasal voice which seemed to finally disappear after 2000 or so.

Jess Walton again always had more of a smoker's gruff sounding voice but it really started to sound more like it does now sometime mid to late 90's.from what I have watched.

MTS, LLB,SC etc....all use to sound much younger then they do now.

• Members

I loved watching the OLTL marathon on SoapNet when it was going off the air and hearing Slezak speak. Like saying the words "at all" sounding like "Atole"

Has Kristina Wagner always spoken like she's half British and half stroke victim?

Does Hunter Tylo's voice sounding like a haggard old gramma due to her plastic surgery injections count?

• Members

:lol:laugh.pnglaugh.png

I HATE Hunter Tylo. Passionately!

Jack Wagner's speech pattern changed drastically from GH to SB and B&B. Even in his GH returns, he no longer seemed like Frisco.

I love Kristina Wagner and always will. She always has been so naturally Felicia for me that I don't realize she's acting, which is my favorite kind of actor.

I'm sorry. I know this board loves her, but Lauren Koslow and her over-pronounciation of every. Single. WORD. drives me MAD!!! Deborah Adair, where art thou?

Even though I love her, Christine Tudor Newman always had an affected manner of speech.

I LOVE Robin Strasser's choice to have Dorian pronounce all ethnic names in the accent of their ethnicity. I LIVE for when she spits out "Carrr-LOAH-TAH!"

• Members

I thought I was the only one who was bothered by LK's way of speaking. LOL! I know exactly what you are talking about.

VM and MB have this habit of whispering and mumbling all of their lines now. I know MB always did this, but VM didn't. Watching clips of the 90's you can actually understand S&B scenes!!! I guess that is more laziness than actual voice changes.

• Members

James Scott's accent bugs me. This is something that most of you probably won't get. The guy grew up in Newcastle, UK, and his mother is Scottish, so his accent should not be this polished, generic London twang that he has going on. If anything, it should sound like Cheryl Cole's. His accent always sounds so fake to me. I wonder if he changed it when he moved to LA? Go for something that American's could fully understand.

Archived