What if James E. Reilly had written your soap?

• Members

Pretty interesting idea isn't, since Reilly actually wrote for many soaps on their writing staff over the years. Several years ago when JER and Ellen Weston were written some pretty horrific stories concurrently at Days and GL respectively I remember talking in jest and seriousness about what would have happened if Reilly had stayed on at GL ie Alex would have buried Mindy alive in the Nick/Mindy story, Reva would have ended up levitating above her bed, and Maureen would live until being bludgeoned like Maggie was etc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's see, if JER had written DAYS...? Oh, wait. He did. Twice.

Let's try it again: if JER had written GUIDING LIGHT...? Oh, wait. He wrote for them, too.

One more time: if JER had written AMC...? Nope. He was there, albeit briefly.

Damn.

• Members

Reilly did write my soap - Trassions. Absolute nightmare! The show had so much potential but Reilly tripped over his own ego as he showed no one has control over him and tells him what to do. As a result, Reilly served up sewage day after day. Affiliates were threatening NBC for that hour back.

• Members

How did James E Reilly start out as a great head-writer at Days (in that he was able to mix his over the top stories along with friendships, family, etc) for the first year or two of his stint.. and then became too over the top? Did the control over him lessen during the 4 plus years of his first stint?

I think he was part of a group of head-writers on Guiding Light, probably kept him from going to over the top with his suggestions. I know in the late 90's he became a story consultant for Sunset Beach (hence the story of Vanessa's mother having the skin disorder and her rival Virginia giving her some cream that mimicked those symptoms. Not sure if he had anything to do with the turkey baster story or not. I do know the first several months of Sunset Beach were slightly more realistic before he became a consultant).

• Members

In 1995, half the residents of Springfield would travel to the murky, mysterious town named Eproht where Hart Jessup, dying from an unknown illness, would frame someone for his own death after they've stolen Dinah away from him. Elsewhere, Joshua is shocked to discover that the town's "ghost woman" known as The Devil In Red is actually his presumed dead wife, Reva Shayne Lewis, hiding out because of amnesia and a nasty scar.

Archived