GH 50: Discussion for the Month of April - May 3, 2013

• Members

Watching some of today's show...

The Lucy/Kevin scene actually got to me. I don't like that. If I'm going to watch this show I have to be dead inside. In all the years I've watched GH I actually loved about three or four canon couples, and Lucy and Kevin have always been one of them. Aside from the pants that look like something an aging dancer from 1975 would wear, I thought Lucy looked great, especially her hair. I liked the top too.

Maxie's hair looks like someone stuck her in a light socket before every take (that would be more entertaining than any story she's had in the last five years).

It's been said, over and over, but Sabrina looked perfectly fine with her regular appearance. The glasses are cute, and her hair actually looks very nice now. I hate this tedious crap about how a woman is only hot without glasses - they were making fun of this in Pillow Talk over fifty years ago. She could lose the Where's Waldo shirt. Felix's dialogue makes my teeth itch. It's all forced witticisms and watered down sister friend sass.

There's a lesson to be learned in this - just because your friend is gay doesn't mean he will be able to give you a makeover. Felix apparently took photos of a very, very hung over Liz and thought this was a look.

Anna's hair looked good, by her standards.

Bad acting from Ingo at the end there. Bad cookie duster too. I'm reminded again of just how little I care about Brenda and Jax and how awkward they are.

I'm a cheap date, as I actually laughed at the gag about Mac's bad stand-up routine.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I think this is a biggie. The vets do have substantive scenes and stories. They aren't just back for cameos. Besides Jax and Brenda, and what you mention with Bobbie (loved the touch with BJ's heart and Maxie), so much time was spent Thursday by Anna/Felicia and Duke/Mac talking about Frisco/Felicia/Mac and Anna/Duke.

Also, as someone who last watched regularly in 1997, I too agree the Jax/Brenda scene felt like old times. Brenda was like this back then too, loving Jax but wanting Sonny more. I think there's something to Carly's accusation that Brenda is addicted to Sonny. I am interested to see how Brenda will act now, still being on the show, with neither Jax nor Sonny in a relationship with her.

I don't have a problem with the spoiler/rumor. It could even end up being something to root for.

I don't think Luke and Laura are missing any chemistry. I do think with what's happened to the characters, it may not work for them to be reunited as a pairing though, and the show is probably still trying to decide on that as well.

I don't mind the break from Luke and Laura on the Haunted Star, despite the cliffhanger. I agree with other posters that if something happens offscreen, or if we don't go back to them for two weeks, that would suck, but not having the same people on every day is part of soaps.

The scriptwriters may be mostly new, but Elizabeth Korte, breakdown writer, is still a major part of the GH writing staff and she has been there since I was watching in the mid-90s.

• Members

I was watching a few GH episodes with a friend whose a big(ish) fan so I didn't have much choice in the matter. I thought the AMC/OLTL stuff was recent ABC material - if it's new scenes or some old vintage material I'll definitely check it out.

• Members

It's much more than that. It's new footage (more for AMC than OLTL), archival clips, etc. Debbi Morgan narrates the AMC version, OLTL has Erika Slezak presenting and narrating in character. The new AMC footage is spliced throughout the piece with dialogue, OLTL just has some quick shots at the end. I know some of it won't be to your taste (or mine, as it seems John is back somehow) but it still all looks stupendous, so please do check it out.

• Members

I hate this story and think Brenda is in the wrong and headed for heartbreak, but I think VM is playing Brenda as Brenda of the 90's. I am not going to lie, but after I watched the scenes a second time a part of my like the old-school Brenda bitchiness. She Kayne-shrugged off the whole, yeah I wanna be with Sonny business, and expected Jax to just be okay with. It was vintage Brenda ridiculousness. And J&B of old would have had a longer conversation about all of this. I am a bit suprised that Jax stormed out so quickly. I have now prepared myself for the nonsense and given up on good writing for B, so I am going to enjoy Brenda's utter cluelessness and horrible life decisions. After these spoilers I need to.

• Members

Yeah, I am really not huge on the story, but i do like what has happened on screen so far. It feel very much like a return to Brenda of the 90's who is determined to get what she wants and to hell with anyone she may have to use or hurt to get it. Shes selfish, and she doesnt care. I like that.

I love Brenda and Jax. I love Brenda and Sonny. I love Brenda vs Carly. So, while not loving the story i am also not hating it. Not yet anyways.

• Members

LOL, I also don't like what Felix said that Sabrina had to get a makeover to be considered beautiful on the outside. I also see the "Liz in an accident" or "hung over Liz" comparisons post-makeover.

But Felix was also right that it's the truth that Sabrina would also be judged on her appearance already. Men and women, if you look "nerdy" (as I do), people do judge you.

I do like that the show had Patrick fall for Sabrina *before* any makeover.

I like Felix but I understand the criticisms of his forced "witty" dialogue. But he doesn't talk like that all the time. Also, I think the dialogue overall on the show has gotten better since i was complaining a bit about it seeming too stylized last week, so maybe my judgment was too quick. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

• Members

Well, my issue with it all is that Brenda should have matured since 1996, but at least VM is showing some charisma again. She is making horrible life decisions and I don't buy any of this crap with S/B/J, but she has some spark and didn't crumble at all when Jax was saying nasty things to her. Mygirl, just shakes off Jax dumping her and puts her party dress on to go fight Carly at the NB. My issue is would Brenda get engaged to Jax for the 1000 time if she was still so into Sonny? Both of them talked about their relationship as happening again pretty casually. She couldn't have picked up a phone or sent an email out to Sonny before filing for divorce to clear up the confusion? It isn't 1920, Bren, letter writing isn't your only form of communication. I guess I just really like Jax and my heart broke for him because he is obviously once again more into Brenda than she is into him and she didn't even try to soften the blow.

• Members

Felix & Sabrina feel like a painfully bad ripoff of Will & Grace. What's next, RC, you make them roommates?

I've been utterly bored by Patrick & Sabrina and the cliche makeover scene paints them such a shallow story. I'd have written Patrick removing Sabrina's glasses, staring into her pretty eyes, and telling her you don't need to hide herself behind these big glasses. If you're brave enough to stand up to Britt and confess your feelings to me, then your brave enough to put these away. Then he'd kiss her with the messy hair and all. Patrick, not Felix, would then have been the one to understand Sabrina's fears and the one to unleash the butterfly from the cocoon. Instead, Patrick's shocked face in the preview is just a cheap Cinderella moment ripoff.

So Noah comes back to honor Robin's memory, and skips any heartfelt talk about Patrick's addiction following in Noah's old footsteps? Instead Patrick is pushed to chase another woman on the night he's honoring his dead wife. RC's writing is devoid of any heart.

I cheered Jax on today but I'll cheer him more if he dumps on Carly, too. Carly, Sonny & Brenda all deserve to play their toxic games for a decade more. Jax deserved to be freed forever from that mess and finally fall for Alexis.

Mac is so utterly boring even his NB act is a dull dummy.

I don't understand why RC bothered to bring back Kevin. His reunion with Lucy was a rushed scene and now he's not even around for Lucy's big night.

• Members

LOL Carl, I absolutely love Pillow Talk (and some of it is more progressive than a lot of the rom-coms today). But I don't recall any scenes with ladies featuring glasses which they removed to reveal instant gorgeousness...

I am a few episodes behind, but Staurt Damon brings tears to my eyes. He is clearly not as well as he used to be, but I am so happy to see him regardless.

I'm not sure about the story but I love Brenda as played and written currently. I want to forget her last two visits ever even happened (with Lucien and the Balkan and all that horrendousness). I also think Vanessa looks better, healthier, than her last go-around. Her voice is still sketchy but I can live with that.

I missed most of last month's episodes so I have a question: how did they end up writing off Todd, Starr and McNostril? Did McNostril and Sam ever end up getting it on?

Archived