GH: another veteran actor returning

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't watch GH for the full hour everyday. I watch on youtube certain days to see my faves. Last I checked I'm allowed to point out what's onscreen. He hasn't righted anyone's wrongs he's just rehashed stories that already happened and wrote them his way which still included crappy endings.

• Members

Bologne! It's ridiculous that Ron would even go there. If he were a better writer or A writer, I could understand him saying somethng like this. However, you don't dis another writer. You just don't, and again, RC is the last person to dis anyone. I would say I'm disappointed he did this, but I'm not... Just like her to do something like this.

• Members

I think there's a lot to harshly critique about the current show. But I'd still take it for ten years over Guza's last ten.

Going to a point someone made a few pages ago, It's true that Guza's team often had a lot longer, more thoughtful scenes. There was a time, even five or ten years ago, where there were still some very well-done, well-thought-out individual scenes where people explored motivations and interpersonal nuances. Even when Sonny and Brenda last were together and then divorced, they had some incredible scenes where Sonny admitted he cared more for power than for love. But I credit that far more to the holdover staff Guza and Riche (and Labine) had assembled in the '90s than to Guza's actual solo regime or storylines, or choices.

And you have to consider what most of those scenes in the 2000s have been in service of: The same four to six characters talking about the same things, namely the mob, violence, and the world that extends only so far as the ends of their own noses. It basically became Guza and his crew mugging for the Emmys, if you will - trying to 'prove' they were all good enough for primetime drama, when in fact they never were, by writing an endless stream of soul-searching scenes designed to make the show 'feel' like primetime quality. But it hasn't actually had that level of quality in many, many, many years - I remember when it did, consistently, but that means going back to at least the year 2000.

Instead, under Guza you had a show that clearly fancied itself dark, soul-searching drama ready for primetime, when actually what it looked like was a very cheap soap opera with scornful pretensions to not being a soap opera. And as for functioning even as soap opera, it didn't really do that anymore. Often, the 'deep, thoughtful scenes' they wrote were in service of some of the worst, most repetitious storylines possible: Sonny is upset about his past again, or betrayal, or his horrible lifestyle, or Luke is whining about his family and his past while drinking his troubles away. Those scenes were a lot more potent when I was watching them in the '90s. Rehashing those scenes and others like them in service of, say, Faith Rosco, and the Russian mob, and then the Ruiz brothers, and then the Balkan, and then Nikolas's evil twin who raped Emily, and all that crap - it was just vapid posturing for Emmys for their key actors. JFP and Guza knew how to structure their show to showcase those moments for the lazy, indulgent actors they considered their big ticket people, even in lieu of telling a coherent or original, or complex story. Just throw in a scene of Sonny or Luke raging about the past again and the committee will vote for it.

It was basically a confidence shell game, and it got tired. I don't like people trying to put one over on me and call it quality, and that's what Guza's team did all the time. It's very true that Valentini and Carlivati's GH is hyper-caffeinated, way too frenetic when it comes to scenes and storylines, and often very vapid and lazy when it comes to hitting plot and character beats. I doubt Monty's GH was perfect either. And while I wouldn't compare them to Monty, I think the inescapable fact is that both regimes, be they for overall good or ill, saved GH from certain death. And whatever they are doing, and they're doing a lot wrong as well as right IMO, I'd still rather watch their junk food soap opera than watch Guza try to redress the same plate of reheated, rotting steak over and over and over again.

In a perfect world you'd have a show that strikes the better balance of both regimes. But I'm not sure GH can ever afford to stop tapdancing as fast as it can as it is right now, at least in order to survive on network.

• Members

Eh, I love RC subtly ripping on Guza. They are both hacks with no credibility as far as I am concerned. However, RC has mostly rid GH of the mob and brought back A.J. undoing some of the grave injustices done by Guza. If there is a chance that RC can undo the damage to Rick Webber in anyway, it is all good.

• Members

You have got to be kidding!? I'd take RC's GH over Guza's GH any day. If nothing else, RC's GH comes off as a bad soap opera, but a soap opera nonetheless unlike Guza's incompetently embarrassing attempt at writing a Shakespearean tragedy/Soprano wannabe drama.

Archived