February 4-8, 2013: Another Good Week for Y&R/B&B

Toups

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with your defense of P&G sponsoring, Eric83, but the reason ATWT and GL had "horrible ratings" was that P&G and CBS let them get that way. ATWT and GL were both doing alright in the ratings just a few years before they were cancelled. ATWT vied for No. 3 in the ratings at times in the early 2000s. ATWT especially could have been saved. Goutman/Passanante were allowed to linger far too long and killed the show with their plot-driven, campy, villain of the month nonsense. ATWT needed a good writer back -- not Passanante or Lethal Leah. Looking back, Chris Whitesell was probably vital to ATWT during the early Passanante era, which was decent, before he left ATWT. Carolyn Culliton is another one who could have been brought back to save the show. They tried with David Kreizman (who I like), but by then it was already too late.

The budget cut that killed GL was also implemented in a horrible manner and P&G (as well as CBS and the show itself) must bear some responsibility for the Peapack era -- there was nothing intrinsic to moving to Peapack that would kill the show, but the way it was implemented (bad sound, "slice of life" writing deliberately lacking drama) had more misses than hits for far too long. I liked GL to the end, but it could have been so much better.

• Members

First post after Toups put the ratings up in the middle of the night (thanks Toups!) ...

My reactions:

Nice to see all soaps showing gains in total viewers from last year. Soap ratings have stabilized. Days still lost a little viewers from the week before, but I'm not tooo worried. If it keeps losing viewers every week the rest of February, then I'll be worried.

Interesting that Days's best day was Thursday. I can't tell what would have been particularly different about that day. Perhaps weather-related.

• Members

I'm happy Days didn't have a bigger drop in the ratings considering the horrid stories right now. The only good story is Nick/Gabi/Will/Sonny.. I can't stomach Bristen, Danifer or Ejami..

GH is looking good in the ratings for a show that was pretty much given up for dead last year. I'm not a big GH fan, but I watch from time to time when Vets returns.

• Members

CBS overall had a big network lift the week of Feb 4-8 - the reason? It was after the SB. The ratings on Monday particularly reflected that in a dayparts. Primetime ratings for week of Feb 11 have been down sharply on CBS as compared to week before. Don't be surprised if Y&R, B&B and TT show similar drops.

• Members

The thing is Y&R seems to be moving up in the right direction since JFP took over. Its kind of boring in places but nowhere near as bad when MAB was at the helm. It was lke an amateur was running the show.

GH has stayed consistent throughout which is great. I rather see consistency then crazy spikes and drops. DAYS doing well even after their big week reveal. IMO Ken Corday needs to immediately promote Lorriane Broderick to co-head writer of DAYS. Its clear her level of writing is part of the show. What is the hold up in making it official Lorriane will be a co-head writer for DAYS?

Archived