February 4-8, 2013: Another Good Week for Y&R/B&B

Toups

• Members

People might have left the channel on CBS when they switched off the TV.

As for Broderick being promoted, JONNYSBRO, I've read several places (never a confirmed "news" type of source though) that she's happy being associate head writer and doesn't want the responsibility of being an official head writer. She already appears to have quite a bit of influence, so I don't think her title matters that much.

Unlike Kimmiemae, I am loving most of the stories on Days! In addition to Sonny/Will/Gabi/Nick, and how the other characters interact with that, I like the conflict and ambivalence Kristen is feelling about her revenge plot, Rafe falling for Kate (makes sense as she's similar to Sami in some ways), and the psychological tug of war between Eric and Nicole as Nicole fights her feelings. I also like the way the canvas is interwoven and how older characters such as Victor and Caroline have meaningful scenes. I don't mind EJami since I'm a new viewer and all the baggage is not as big in my mind. I think my only problem with the show right now is Chloe being so juvenile and desperate in her scheming for Daniel.

Looking back, Chris Whitesell is probably a better writer than he's gotten credit for too. I think he may be the reason the early Luke story was better than most of the later years, and that ATWT in general was better from 2005 through part of 2007; he left ATWT and then Passanante was floundering on her own writing plot-based, campy villain of the month stories.

Whitesell and Gary Tomlin's long history with Days also gives them understanding of the characters, which helps them a lot now that Days is a character-driven soap. Being character-driven comes from the top, it's not just Broderick or just the writers. Greg Meng was talking about it in an interview last summer.

Next week, I expect GH to go up again with Laura having come back. Days, I hope doesn't drop -- it may drop though because the Will story was not on Monday or Tuesday.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have stats on it, but I imagine quite a few daytime viewers, and indeed TV viewers in general, are casual viewers. They turn the TV on and what happens to be on stays on if it's interesting enough. But they wouldn't have been on that channel if it wasn't already the channel that was left from last night.

• Members

That's hilarious, and sad. I've watched Days since the early 80's and I don't recognize any of the characters as written by Tomlin/Whitesell. I despise what they've done to a show I once loved so much. But then, like you said, you're a new viewer so I wouldn't expect you to know any different. Regarding EJ/Sami, I find them vile and offensive on so many levels. I can't watch a show promoting rapemance. It's just not in me. I keep tabs on a few things that I do like via YouTube, but I refuse to give Days any ratings for that trash.

• Members

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Tomsell stories are mostly plot driven. They don't take time to weave out stories. They only write for the characters they like, and not the main characters. The only character driven story is Gabi/Nick/Will/Sonny.

I'm glad you are enjoying Days though. I'm a longtime Days fan that watch no matter what. I will call the writers on their BS stories, but I still watch out of loyalty and love for the show.

• Members

Remember hen B&B was the old people's show ALWAYS dead last in demos. All of the remaining soaps are close but I never thought we'd see Bell beating GH and Days. I actually thing RM and SF both leaving were good things. Ridge stopped being interesting long ago, and really just served as a prop for Brooke and Stephanie. While I love SF, her character hit a brick wall a long time ago as well.

I'm really enjoying the smaller cast and see so much new potential for the show. Brooke and Dollar Bill are hot!

What is up over at GH? They have so many characters just hanging on the margins with storylines that just pop up from time to time. I actually forgot Max was still on the show. It feels like RC/FV are putting together as many stories as possible with the hope that something catches fire. I'm glad that GH is doing better but a 2.1HH isn't great and I wanna see Guza-size ratings. If B&B can surge, so can GH!

• Members

ATWT was good, and a few stories were actually great, between 2005-2007 when Whitesell was with the show and the ratings back me up with ATWT comming in at 3ed for 2007-8 season. I'm in the minority, enjoyed the show 2001-early 2008 and think all of the writers did a nice job. It was only after Whitesell left that the show went crash and burn. JP sucks! and Goutman was an idiot for not hiring Josh Griffith as HW.

Archived