GH: Discussion for the Month of January

• Members

it's hard not to root for her and hate Britt. Which is one of my problems with the story--aren't love triangles, even instand love triangles much more interesting when, even if you side with one character, you have some sympathy or mixed emotions at least for the other? Not that I was expecting an Agnes Nixon or Lemay style Alice/Rachel/Steve triangle (although that kinda story seems to be gone now), but there was zero effort here.

The story pitch seems like it played out like this:

“We’ll introduce two women; one is HOT (even if she has unfortunate teeth) and the other is obviously beautiful too, but she doesn’t know it, and they both love this hot widower doctor. Oh, and let’s make the HOT one sexually aggressive, always trying to initiate the sex, because that will make audiences realize to mistrust a her–a woman who initiates asking a man out and then on dates, is sexually forward is someone everyone knows is up to no good. .

So–quick recap–from episode one (because neither character is going to have an established background on the show, nobody has time for that) let’s make it clear that the HOT one is completely unlikeable in every single possible way, and the “beautiful-but-doesn’t-know-it” woman is utterly sweet and (even if she kinda seems like she needs to grow up and not revolve her life around a crush on a man) ultimately will get the doctor–it helps that she obviously is a virgin and would blush and run off if someone even discussed masturbation, let alone any mature sexual issues.

But wait! Let’s not have them connect for 5 or so months–you know by then we will have the Nurses Ball for our show’s 50th Anniversary and we can do our Cinderella thing and have her gay friend Felix [who, for the record, I think I would like as a character if he had more to do than play bitchy fairy god-mother] give her a makeover!! Oh did I mention that the loveable daughter of the once man-slut, but now romantically timid widower, doctor also HATES the *slutty* aggressive MEAN woman, and LOVES the sweet “ugly duckling” *virgin* and even wants her to be her new mom? Viewers will be HOOKED!”

“But what about when they are a couple–how will we stretch it out further, because they’d be SOOOO boring as a couple.”

“Oh, by then we can just bring back the doctor’s dead wife, no worries!”

Anyway–sorry for the rant, but that’s how it’s worked out in my brain, and it’s a story I wish I didn’t have to see in a show I’m kinda enjoying–aside from being predictable (at least so far), I find the values it teaches (“ladies, be passive, and as pure as possible, and you WILL end up with that man!”) are so antiquated to be ridiculous in anything but a satire.

The rumours that Britt has an ulterior motive (rumours I hope are true, because otherwise I don’t know why this seemingly attractive, smart, doctor is so man obsessed evgen by soap standards), which just makes her, IMHO, all the more one dimensional and boring. And all of this makes Patrick look like a big idiot because he doesn’t see that as soon as he turns his head for two seconds to the other side, Britt is giving evil eyes to Serena, or that his daughter despises Britt, or anything else. And it’s not even that he’s so in love or in lust with Britt to play the “love is blind” card–he had to practically be attacked in the shower to finally not bother saying no to her advances.

Story win!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did too--for all my grumbles, I thought, shower sex and that silliness aside, this was one of the better shows in a long time--things like character motivation and even some, well kinda, subtext under dialogue made sense to me.

Is that why FV hasn't gone quite as "a shirtless male every day" happy as he was at OLTL?

Meh I think it's more just that he's sooo thin, and as someone said, it's typical "skinny fat" from someone who prob once worked out and now has lost a lot of weight--that combined with the stomach.

While I wish the writing would evolve--this didn't bother me. Alexis, as Carl has said, has been like this for YEARS, and it's basically in character--he did kidnap her daughter--and AJ was firing back when Michael stopped them.

OK, and I am done catching up with everyone's posts--you can all sigh in relief. :)

• Members

That shower scene is a gross reminder of why one must wear shower shoes in communal bathrooms.

Alexis is so... god, this mob-propping character. And WTF with the hair? She needs some V05 hot oil and a 21st century cut. I used to love NLG, especially on SB, but I just can't with this character lately.

AJ = WIN. So are Tracy and Lucy. And I kind of like the sweet chemistry between Liz and AJ. I also like his chem with him and Sam, though. With everybody basically. :lol:

Ok, yeah, Kelly S did decently today. The material was practically willing it of her, though. Lindsey Morgan, though... OMG! ph34r.png

• Members

That is correct. Mostly, it would be once or twice a month as AMC bled into OLTL while I was still having lunch. Other than that, my only way of formulating an opinion was through his interviews... which, I've come to learn, were only conducted by biased fangurls such as Nellie, Daytime Cuntfidential and Fairman.

Excited? Ha! I think FVRC brought Kassie on purely to give everyone on GH free colonics, the magnitude at which she was sucking ass.

"What a WONDERFUL show!"

"What a POWERFUL story!"

"What a WONDERFUL cast!"

Fine... but when she referred to Laura Sisk as "a WONDERFUL actress," that made me be the first in line to buy her southern-fried ass a ticket on Air Cancellation back to Llanview.

• Members

Cat, I was pretty much in Alexis' Corner, something I never do, until she started rimming Sonny in that convo! Yikes! If she were purely operating off of AJ kidnapping her child, that would have been enough. But no! Sonny, who is a horrible father, was most of her conversation. GMAFB!

Kawny? Don't care one bit. Too late. She's been vile and worthless for far too long! Die bitch!

As for Miss Kassie DePaiva! She gets more pathetic with each passing day. Now encouraging her fans to respond [negatively] to Michael Fairman's interview with LW. I skimmed the interview, so I can't comment on it too much, but it takes very little to set KDP off these days. She needs help!

Patty! I'm just not sure what shirtless Patty was supposed to do for the audience. Aren't those scenes for our benefit?

Sabrina - hate her! hate her! hate her! Sad that Liz is her sounding board.

• Members

I certainly can't hold it against KdP for rightfully calling out this Turdly nonsense as the bullshit that it is - especially since longtime fans of the real Todd Manning know better than to believe the crap that Ron is shoveling their way. Hell, even RoHo is starting to sleepwalk through this sh!t - not that I blame him one bit because this bootleg Blair storyline that they've shackled to his character is the fvcking pits.

Even though I find her comments to be far too diplomatic for my liking, I understand why KdP - company woman that she's always been - is treading lightly so that door isn't completely shut in her face for good. Woman's gotta eat.

• Members

I can't believe that I'm in the position of defending one of RC's tweets but I've seen other showrunners (primetime) talk about scenes that got cut or things they wanted to deal with in the script but there just wasn't room. I usually like that BTS stuff about the making of a show.

• Members

VH, that's nonsense! KDP is behaving like a jilted wife, and she needs to stop! I fully expect her to sue LW for "Alienation Of Affection" re: Todd Manning! This has gone on long enough. FRon decided that there was nothing new they could or wanted to do with TnB and thought they'd try Tarly! Good bet, I'd say, and this is coming from someone who fought the pairing tooth and nail until I realized I was fighting it for the wrong reasons. This is so beyond ridiculous that I can;t begin to completely wrap my head around it.

Daytime is all but dead and one of the reasons is that the fans and writers are not allowing the characters to grow or move from their favs!

Outside of being a TnB lover, there is absolutely no good reason to fight a new pairing that seems to be good for the show! If you just don't like the couple, that's fine, but because 1/2 belongs to someone else? That is positively unsettling!

IMHO, Tarly is as close to an old school love story that I have seen on a soap in a long time, and I'm happy to see it. LW and Roger have massive chemistry and doing a fabulous job selling this story! Can't wait to see what's next!

Archived