Retcons and Rewrites

• Members

Yes OLTL's Rex never ending paternity changes has been talked to death but the worse for me was the final retcon which had him be the product of the original affair Clint had with Echo. I hated that he was Clint's son at all but doing this messed with the timeline bc Jess and Nat weren't born till a few years after. I thought for sure they were going to say Clint had a ONS with Echo we never knew about years after the fact, but nope, Rex was conceived during that affair. This now made Rex older than both of his sisters which made little sense bc he was always Natalie's younger brother. It also aged him a few years to his mid 30s.

Im surprised no one mentioned Danielle on OLTL unless I missed it. I had no problem with them creating a child for Todd and Tea. That's not really a retcon as we hadn't seen her since they had sex on the island and she very well could have been pregnant for all we knew. The retcon came when they made her older than Jack which made no sense especially since they kept referencing the original story in which Todd and Tea wound up on that island after he tried to kidnap Jack. RC tried to be cute and funny by having the siblings meet for the first time with Jack saying it made no sense, but it didn't stop him from proceeding with it. It would have worked fine had Danielle just been younger than Jack like she was supposed to be. I didn't see the need for them to give Todd another teen daughter especially since he was still going through the teenage daughter storylines with Starr

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder how fans that watched DAYS in the 60's / 70's felt about the retcon making Jessica Marie's daughter / Marie was involved in hardcore drugs and S&M sex with Alex. Not only that, but just the year before Jessica debuted, Cathy Breton, a short time much forgotten character, was originally poised to be revealed as Marie's daughter.

• Members

Bill Spencer Jr's existence on B&B is a major retcon. Caroline being an only child was a big part of her character and of the way Bill Sr treated her. The introduction of her kidnapped twin sister Karen was far-fetched but at least not entirely unbelievable. But Bill Jr was a different matter. No mention was ever made of him, either when Caroline died or when Karen was found.

Another ridiculous rewrite was that Donna had a child in high school, and to make matters worse they made that implausible child much too young. Donna was 18 when the show started, so any child she had in high school would be older than Rick, who was born more than three years into the show's run. Yet somehow Marcus, at least to me, is portrayed as quite a bit younger than both Rick and Bridget, and she was born even later.

• Members

She was too worthless to mention. Other than wasting a lot of time, and putting a spotlight on how bad RC's writing for Tea was (raping a brain-damaged woman = good; destroying a canoe = EVIL EVIL EVIL), there was no real aftereffect. It's kind of hilarious that even RC started pretending she didn't exist.

Then they made it even worse by killing off Bill Sr just to introduce him. The only time I buy anything about this character is when they have Karen come in to bicker with him.

• Members

I guess it depends on when Katie started using Lyla's "abandonment" as her excuse...but I know Lyla showed up at Christmastime '00 when Bryant was in jail. Katie was obviously on before Hogan started, but other than some childish dropping of condoms to convince Jamie Dudney's character she'd slept with Eddie, I don't think Katie really did anything she would have needed to slander Lyla for. I think (and I could be wrong) it wasn't until after the Molly plot with Henry that she really needed redemption.

I'd even agree in the history of retcons it's pretty minor, since the character of Lyla hadn't been a regular in probably five years. But it rewrote a character who'd been on the show for close to fifteen years.

I can't believe I didn't mention the rewrite of Brad's character to accommodate "funny man" Austin Peck. Admittedly, Brad was a minor character who was only on a year the first time around, but making him Jack's "younger" brother completely screwed the foundation of Jack's character. Completely ignoring Brad's history in Oakdale other than his involvement in the Carly/Jack saga was a complete headscratcher to me.

Oh, and count me in as hating the so-called "return to Craig's roots" to explain Hunt Block's scenery chewing version of Craig.

Re: Taylor/Ridge/Brooke....I dunno. Waffling is one thing. The MAJOR retcon in Brooke's history is the stupid letter that appeared casting doubt on Bridget's paternity---negating one set of DNA results and inventing a Brooke/Eric ONS that occurred while Eric was blinded after saving babyRick from a falling bookcase.

• Members

I could swear that it was Broderick. I remember barely watching during those years but hearing about this and being outraged, as Lyla was one of my favorite characters. But I am happy to blame Sheffer.

I was going to put this but couldn't remember if they'd implied at the time that Sheila had switched the tests (the time of the original test). Either way it came out of left field and mostly seemed to be done just to push Taylor/Ridge. And then this led to the sicko Bridget/Ridge stuff years later.

• Members

I was going to put this but couldn't remember if they'd implied at the time that Sheila had switched the tests (the time of the original test). Either way it came out of left field and mostly seemed to be done just to push Taylor/Ridge. And then this led to the sicko Bridget/Ridge stuff years later.

I think that's what they implied when trying to explain the retcon---and granted, my B&B history sucks. I guess I remember my original outrage over it more than anything. B&B history just doesn't stick in my brain. The fact that some lame-ass letter outted Brooke's supposed involvement in some plot to change the results implies to me that it was BabyDumbBell looking for a way to excuse Ridge for dumping Brooke yet again.

• Members

I didn't mind the story... I just think it would have made much more sense if Neil had donated his sperm to more than one egg and had Daniel be Neil's son. Oh, but that calls for more history, something Days isn't known for...

I miss Melanie. (And, I might add, a whole lot of other characters no longer on there.) As far as the SSK, we'll all agree to disagree. We'll also never really know what they intended to happen. Sad.

• Members

The story did seem to come out of nowhere. I remember Brooke suddenly running off to Barbados clutching baby dolls. For me, 94-95-96, around then, was probably the last gasp of the B&B I truly enjoyed, although it's had some good moments now and then since that time.

Archived