GH: Valentine's Day Supercouple Marathon

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have mixed feelings on soap opening credits. I used to love opening credits for sitcoms and some primetime dramas. A lot of my favorite soap opening credits are quick and simple, with a few exceptions. I think what I would like best for a soap today, since they have zero budget, is something like AMC used to have with the hand opening the family album (the one they used until the early 90s, with no photos).

• Members

That title card actually worked. It was great.

But, nowdays with all the CGI crap. I'd rather have a full opening, and if they have to use CGI on that so be it.

I would love to see FOTH return for the 50th. But, no CGI. Just the actors/characters and a very gorgeous gold background with black letterboxing.

I think it would be so pretty.

• Members

I understand why they have the one they have now, it's cheaper and allows for more time. It's grown on me. The Guza/Pratt-era rock opening with the strobes never did.

I do wish they'd bring Faces of the Heart back this year and update the '90s opening. The last year must have given them some cachet with ABCD. It's the best opening, period.

• Members
This GH Valentine's Day marathon is a real disappointment. This show has 50 years of great super couples. But what do we get? Two episodes featuring Sonny and Brenda. Two episodes featuring Sam and Jason. Where is the sense of history? Sure, we got glimpses of late-stage Luke and Laura, with cameos from Mac and Felicia, Sean and Tiffany, Ned and Lois, Robin and Patrick. But, my goodness, where were Robert and Holly, or Robert and Anna, or Anna and Duke, or Frisco and Felicia, Alan and Monica, or Luke and Laura in their heydey? Good grief, most of the episodes are from late-stage dreary GH, when the rankings were tanking. This was NO LEGITIMATE celebration of GH's BEST supercouples, at all. Clearly the fans who voted are late-comers to GH with no sense of or interest in the historic supercouples that actually made this show a legend. No more letting the fans vote!!!

Given my disappointment with the Valentine's Day marathon -- poor choice of episodes mostly from the dreary Guza era -- I have EXTREMELY LOW expectations for the upcoming 50th anniversary's 50 hour marathon on SoapNet. Ideally there would be one killer episode from each one of the fifty years of the show's history. If not that, than at least five or six from each decade. It will be a real crime if the early years of Steve, Audrey, Jessie and Phil, not to mention head nurse Lucille (Audrey's much older sister) are completely ignored. They were the foundation of the show. I also remember other characters that are now forgotten, like Howie and Jane, Sharon and Henry Pinkham... Given the fifty year history, you shouldn't lop off the beginnings, just because younger viewers might be turned off by black and white and by lead characters that were older. But I do expect that will be the plan, to ignore the complete history on this historic occasion.

Archived