Could soaps be Syndicated like talk shows

• Members

I know some Primetime shows were often in syndicated markets and of course most talk shows are. I was thinking that maybe instead of soaps being restricted to a network such as ABCD could they be distributed like talk shows. Could Sony syndicate DOOL and the Bell soaps to some ABC or NBC affiliates and ABC syndicate GH as well? I am wondering because I am under the impression that in some cases Syndicated shows make more money.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wasn't there something called Paradise Beach that ran in the U.S. in 1993 (I only remember this because it was the summer after Swans Crossing and I figured it was another attempt at a teen soap)?

Swans Crossing was wonderfully cheesetastic, and cheap as all hell. But it gave us Sarah Michelle Gellar :)

• Members

Syndication just doesn't seem to work for scripted shows whatsoever anymore. I think that Seeker was the last major one--a hope to get some of the Xena market, but even in the years between teh shows, that market had just tapped out (it seemed to get played at 1am, etc). Back in the 80s there were popular syndicated sitcoms (Mama's Family) etc that I believe would often play on weekend afternoons or at the 7-8pm slots (and those campy cheap kids ones like Out of This World, Small Wonder, etc--I admit I kinda loved Out of this World as a kid, but even I couldn't handle Small Wonder).

• Members

Cable now provides the various types of syndicated scripted series we used to see in the '80s and '90s. Like you mention Eric, I used to watch shows like Small Wonder and Out of This World on what are now CW/MyNetwork stations during afterschool hours. Kids-oriented sitcoms are now on Disney or Nick. Degrassi TNG has singlehandedly been the teen soap success that Tribes and Swans Crossing never were.

I miss all of those charmingly cheap syndicated sitcoms that used to air on weekend afternoons, and I guess Tyler Perry's shows have sort of assumed that role. A lot of those sitcom spots are now occupied by reruns of judge shows.

I hope that Antenna TV and This continue to be successful. I would love to see, say, Antenna on the level of Nick @ Nite where they were producing their own series.

Does anyone remember, or has anyone ever researched the early days of TBS? Turner did lots of sitcoms and even a soap for his new station. They weren't successful but I admire the effort. It's just sad that in order to get something new and interesting it has to be on a premium cable network (with notable exceptions, of course). I guess talent really is money because apparently there is no one hilarious or brilliant out there who will work for syndicated prices. You just know there are young, brilliant writers out there who could deliver us the best soap we've seen in years if given the chance in syndication.

Archived