GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

They've brought back a zillion vets, they have Anna and co. in frontburner story, Lucy is back this week and they're doing the Nurses Ball. I'm not sure how much longer one can pretend they're phoning it in and trying to backdoor OLTL 2.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will say it again. You can bring back all the vets you want, but if the storytelling is very poor, and it is, it won't matter. Ron is a very poor storyteller, and you don't have to be a hater to see that. As for OLTL, Starr and Todd are on way too much for no reason.

Anyone who's watched soaps for more than 7 years knows that GH could be a million times better. So what there are only 4 left. That is absolutely no reason to suck!

• Members

We've all watched them for a long time; I've watched them for about 20 myself. It could be better, it could also be a lot worse. And I actually enjoy it and watch it everyday now, for the first time in 10 years. So I call that a win for me personally. YMMV, but it's not going to change what I take away from it, which is a much improved GH than the one we've been suffering through for ages.

• Members

Overall I love GH right now and there is very little I would change about it. The stories for the returning vets and the Quartermaines are the best part of the show to me. I don't like Britt and the Sabrina/Nurses Ball stuff is bland but the only part of the show I absolutely hate is Connie .... and worse yet, whatever they are now trying to hint at with Sonny/Connie - that stuff is gross beyond words.

The best part of the Llanview scenes for me was that it made it clear that the writers have not forgotten that Todd is still in love with Blair (and I think Blair is still very much in love with Todd too she’s just being stubborn again). And then they even gave us the scene back in PC with Carly asking Todd what she is to him and he said they are friends. I’m hoping this will be a turning point in the direction GH was going with Todd/Carly and now they will be friends only (without benefits). I don’t mind them as friends so long as it is written in character, but Todd Manning as the latest blindly devoted handholder to Carly is just bizarre. There are things I like about Carly and things I dislike about her and one of the things I absolutely hate about her is the constant whining to whoever her latest enabler happens to be – it’s a disservice to her as a character but it is utterly destructive to whichever poor soul gets assigned to that duty. I vote for Shawn to fill the role since he’s already been ruined as Sonny’s latest enforcer anyhow … but if need be, I’d sell out most any other character to spare Todd from that fate.

• Members

I too wish he had better material. I'm okay with his airtime (obviously) but I would prefer less if the trade off were a better use of the time he does get. I actually enjoyed his scenes with Molly though but I admit to a bias since Molly is one of my faves.

• Members

Todd has been a black hole from the word go and only has only been tolerable recently. The scenes in Llanview showed that Blair is a habit for Todd, and if you watch his scenes with Carly last week, he was trying to get something else out, but Carly stormed off. Todd and Blair are a habit, and Todd telling Carly how he really feels means he has to kick that habit. Will he? My hope is that they develop him into part of the human race and not drag Carly into that hole with him. Todd is funny some times - certainly not all the time, and I can't cringe enough at his words to Tea. Time for this character to grow or send him back to the country with that hick!

As for Carly, I'm hoping there is more in store for her than just whining to Todd because it's very [!@#$%^&*] annoying. She is a mother and a business woman with family on this show. There's plenty for her to do besides whining. But this is FRon's "writing".

• Members

My viewpoint is that a character as long established as Todd (or Carly for that matter) should never be changed to make his critics happy. He’s a villain. He shouldn’t be loved by everyone but he has plenty of fans who have long liked him just the way he is. That’s why I’m happy to see GH utilizing more characters these days – it gives more viewers a chance to enjoy the characters they do like. There is no reason to change any established character into something they’re not. No character is ever going to be liked by everyone and doesn't need to be. The better solution is to not force them into storylines or relationships that don’t work. If Todd (or Carly) has to be changed for the relationship to happen, it’s not worth it. I understand not wanting a fave character (Carly) hooked up with one you hate (Todd), but the idea of wanting them together in spite of that but only if Todd is completely changed into another character is hard to grasp... but then I don’t really need to as we are all entitled to our own way of looking at things.

• Members

There's the difference between "villain" and "black hole", which Todd had become. I was so happy when TSJ took over the role because it was refreshing to see someone, who didn't long to do stand up, play Todd. Roger's Todd had expired because too many had to be dragged down to keep him interesting, even though he wasn't. And up until recently, I found him to be as asexual as they come. Todd has lightened up a bit, and just because he might have a desire to change, does not mean he's ruined. There are but so many babies to steal, women to punch and brother's to kill and brag about. He just might be capable of more. I have to be honest, with Carly, Todd is very tolerable. He seems more human, and I happen to like humans. Lord knows I fought this pairing tooth and nail, but LW and Roger sold me. I'm hooked, but I'd like to see less of Todd simply eating screentime and more of Carly not running to Todd and whining. They should be good together and just as good apart.

• Members

It was TSJ's Todd that became the black hole at the center of the universe, dragging all of OLTL into it. The rapemance did that, RC did that, and yes, Trevor's performance in that period did that - all jokes or complete disinterest, sexual come-ons from Todd to virtually every female scene partner, and callous indifference to his loved ones followed by wooden monotony - like Roger had done in the early 2000s, he'd checked out and the writers had no idea how to write for him. Their scripts veered wildly between sociopath and "but he really has a heart you guys," and Trevor refused to play any pathos by the end. As a result, eventually even Rapemance Ron had to walk it all back and create The Two Todds to make both characters viable again.

Compared to what Victor/Todd did and became - which, fortunately for the character's longevity (because Victor Jr. is a very interesting character) and his fans, can now be explained away as the effects of Irene's brainwashing - RH's Todd's recent misdeeds are chump change. And unlike the Todd of that dark period on OLTL, we always get the sense that he has a heart, however scarred, and truly feels and cares.

Archived