November 5-9, 2012: Good Week For Soaps

Toups

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG OMG OMG go GH. GH went from dead man walking under Wolf/Phelps. This week of GH has been so stunning and so amazing. It hasn't missed a beat. In fact I didn't know how it would top October but it has. The Duke/Faison reveal was stunning soap nirvana at its best and the whole AJ return has been a success. Great stuff there. Edward's death/Thanksgiving should be so sad plus the Nurses Ball talk reving up to the big 50th anniversary. GH is pulling all the stops out. Ron Carlivati is KICKING ASS and taking names. Plus IMO the Chew has been a good lead-in for GH. The Chew has become an ABC hit and will probably be renewed for season 3.

• Webmaster

BTW, based on GH's current ratings trend there is NO way ABC will cancel the show this coming year . It is up in every ratings category that they desire and its doing gangbuster numbers compared to the shows that have aired in its current timeslot (including OLTL). It's also beating its lead-in and barely below The View in the demos.

• Members

I would think 18-34 would always be a more desirable demo if the goal is younger people and it is just 49 that is the demarcation line for when someone becomes no longer valuable. If you are strong in the 34 demo by default you would be doing well in the 49 demo. The news always wants a different demo, 25-54. That demo is also the one stuff like golf and tennis goes after because you then see the top line companies advertising (american express, mercedes benz, etc)

• Webmaster

That may have been true a year ago, but with these #'s GH is in the top 2 in daytime (not just soaps) in the key demos. In fact, GH is now topping OLTL's ratings from the year ago (and most of 2011). Nothing cheaper will be able to come in and do these #'s unless it's some weird far out there original idea (something very rare). ABC has tried and failed to replace OLTL at 2:00 PM. GH not only beat the failures, it's beating OLTL too.

While 12-17 (and to a certain extent 2-11, etc, lol) are the "youngest overall," I meant that in terms of adults, 18-34 is the youngest. There's no reason anyone younger than that should be watching daytime soaps unless they recorded them for viewing later. They should be in school otherwise wink.png

• Members

Prior to GH's timeslot move they aired at a time when alot of people in my town and the surrounding towns were out for the day at school. My highschool school would end at 2:15. That was enough time for me to watch the second half of Passions, ATWT, or OLTL and the entire epi of GH. And Passions always had the young people watching. School never got in the way of that and that was prior to DVR. And at some schools seniors get to leave earlier than rest of the school. My cousin finishes her school day by 1pm.

• Members

Color me cynical. A month of decent gains due primarily to stunt casting doesn't instill confidence. This wet blanket is curious about where all this lands in January and February but congratulations on a few stellar weeks. The current story development holds little promise.

Archived