K-Pop Appeciation Thread

• Members

Taeyang with the dark mohawk >>>>>>>> blue-rinse peepaw Taeyang.

Honestly, Tae Tae has such a HUGE hit with Rise and Eyes Nose Lips that other BB solo projects have been slightly overshadowed, namely Seungri and Daesung's, although I think they got decent play and $$$. YG should have paced it out better IMO because the build-up over Taeyang's delayed album was huge.

AllMyDays, Beast have been slaying all summer with their comeback and winning lots of music shows' #1 spots in Korea.

Saw this gif and :wub: it so much. It looks like Beast to me. Am I wrong?

ixJKMT5kYSWYX.gif

Cheap, they say that BtoB's comeback is later this year. Hopefully! Yeah, apparently they were making bank in Japan. Grab that yen, boys! I hope they have a successful and interesting concept for their comeback. I am really fond of the group.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I dont think he was ever supposed to branch off from BB. He has more interests besides music and like T.O.P has been really getting into the acting. I can get wishing he had done more though.. Big Ugh to those that said that stuff about him. They clearly dont get him.

Speaking of which, he just performed at the 10th Anniversary M! Countdown show:

Of course you would. I beleive you loved T.O.P's turqoise hair when I hated it...lol

You have to rememebr that Taeyang's album was supposed to come out last fall when the other members released their solo projects yet his kept getting delayed. They werent intending to build it up for that long.

Have no clue what that gif is from but I dont think its Beast

Good news for BtoB. Really hope its a full album but I bet its another mini. Oh well, I'll take the crumbs I can get.

BTW, love your Kai banner. Also loved the dancing one from before

wSn66AA.jpg

top_bigbang_003.jpg

My god, this guy can not take a bad photo. More at this link: http://bigbangupdates.com/2014/07/new-t-o-p-french-cafe-photos.html

• Members

Thanks for the compliment about the banner (your James Scott/Ali Sweeney one is to die for btw). I am really feeling Kai's dancing at the moment. I just worry that he is going to cut his career short if he doesn't deal with niggling back/waist injuries and over-dancing instead of getting them seen to.

Speaking of, here is Kai trying (and failing) to rein in his hyung Suho's enthusiasm for Taeyang:

tumblr_mwtuo3S2j31r3xllho2_250.giftumblr_mwtuo3S2j31r3xllho1_250.gif

tumblr_mwtuo3S2j31r3xllho3_250.giftumblr_mwtuo3S2j31r3xllho4_250.gif

lol

Beast had their goodbye stage on Music Core and sang Sad Movie. They were all looking very fly. The dark hair on Junhyung! At the end, the camera panned around to their front-row fans who were crying. Awww.

Cl instagram update with GD and Tae Tae. Hopefully this means they were in the studio recording with the rest of BB:

http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/87840-cl-instagram-update-140726/

• Members

I haven't seen that performance but I did catch this one and LOVE Junhyung's hair

tumblr_n99qwwgiSq1r0u8szo1_500.gif

Wasn't a fan of the song when it was released as a Japanese single but its since grown on me.

Looks like he did a photoshoot for Elle magazine's August issue while a blonde

2NE1

tumblr_n9bwbebB0q1twagnjo2_500.jpg

2NE1 for Magazine Nylon Cover August Japan 2014

Jay Park

tumblr_inline_n9b1eq0J0q1rni0cg.gif

Damn biggrin.png

tumblr_n85ekesv1M1ts821go1_500.gif

He just released a new single, "NaNa". Was hoping for an album, but I'll take this. Good song

• Members

HyunA (from 4Minute)

HyunA just released her latest mini-album "A Talk" and had her Comeback Stage for the lead single Red, and Blacklist featuring LE

Man, I really love both songs! I like that the concept for this album is the mature sexy type and not the cutesy stuff she's done in the past.

tumblr_n9ep7wB6rg1r8iaaao2_500.gif

tumblr_n9end8bBYe1qi21mno2_250.gif

tumblr_n9elbowVJQ1rvt599o1_500.gif

Im just waiting for the controversy to drop since she has a black guy dancing in there with a concept which features monkey imagery throughout the video. In one of the live performances, he is even in those same striped wear, which some could allude to prison gear

Beast

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2014/07/b2st-finish-up-good-luck-promotions-through-a-special-b2st-unplugged-concert

That was so cool of them. Those fans were really lucky

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

I'd been hearing a lot about HyunA and wondered what she sounded like, so thank you for doing the work for me and introducing her to the thread!

The video concept is very glossy and her entertainment company must have flown in every professional twerker from the US after seeing Miley Cyrus's VMA performance because lately it seems every female K Pop group is twerkin like their life depends on it! HyunA clearly aced her twerk class. I didn't expect to see... so much of HyunA!

I didn't get the black guy reference with the monkey, I saw them as totally separate entities in the video so therefore I don't think HyunA and her team are making racist inferences. Still, it wouldn't be the first time K Pop has trodden that path. :(

So I'd give the song a B+, the video (for its color saturation alone) and A- and HyunA's stunning looks an A, lol.

Personally I have been finding it harder to get into some of the girl groups in K Pop than the guy groups. That must sound sexist/biased of me to say, but some of the girl groups seem to be doing the same things (cutesy twerking, a wink over the shoulder, etc) whereas the guy groups I've been liking are giving more variety in terms of songs and dance choreography. Does that make sense? But I am still on the lookout for that K Pop Spice Girls/Destiny's Child/Beyonce/Lorde! I'm sure I will stumble on her/them soon.

Beast still slaying with their Long Goodbye! Good for them.

• Members

I guess Im just used to the internet jumping on Kpop at any little thing that can be misconstrued as controversial

Out of allher solo outings, I think I prefer this song the most. HyunA is like the Beyonce of 4Minute. Not bc she has the best vocals or is the most talented (bc she's not), but she just stands out and commands attention. Some say their popularity is mainly bc of her. As a solo artist, I think she's more like a Rihanna. Very sexualized

IA on having a hard time getting into female acts. 2NE1 and to a smaller degree 4Minute are it for it. The rest dont grab me like the guys.

BIGBANG

BB as superheroes for their mobile game

1. tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo1_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo6_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo3_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo9_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo4_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo10_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo5_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo7_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo2_500.gif
    tumblr_n9hgdugQpJ1s4eyujo8_500.gif

• Members

Phew, I thought it was just me. Because it seems like we either get this:

2014073114121627653_1_99_20140731143202.

Or this mess:

GD is MADE for a concept like this. Taeyang, bless him, looks like he is farting out a fireball. And TOP, Daesung and Seungiri are auditioning for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

In other news, accidentally came across this video of EXO's D.O. and BtoB's Hyunsik performing at school in their pre-debut days. I never knew they were friends but apparently they are. You don't have to watch the whole video (I didn't), I'm just posting it for reference.

And just because it is Thursday, a little "This week in Sehun's life" EXO spamming:

tumblr_n9koyd7Uqm1rmsnsro4_250.giftumblr_n9koyd7Uqm1rmsnsro1_250.gif

tumblr_n9koyd7Uqm1rmsnsro2_250.giftumblr_n9koyd7Uqm1rmsnsro3_250.gif

laugh.png

tumblr_n9gef46eNL1qzh5sno4_250.giftumblr_n9gef46eNL1qzh5sno2_250.gif

tumblr_n9gef46eNL1qzh5sno1_250.giftumblr_n9gef46eNL1qzh5sno3_250.gif

Slayhun slaying in that suit.

tumblr_n8rfhmEIdk1qe25epo1_400.jpgtumblr_n8rfhmEIdk1qe25epo2_500.jpg

lol

Edited by Cat

• Members

HyunA dance practice for Red. You too can dance like her, K Pop fans!

I really love it when groups put out their dance practice vids. EXO have ones on YT for History, Growl, Wolf and Overdose, and I find them fascinating to watch.

OK, so having said I can't warm to many K Pop girls groups, I have come across Happiness, a catchy summer pop tune by new group Red Velvet. Yes, the cutesy factor is, like, +1,000 and that tends to make my skin crawl. But the song has a good hook and I sort of like the group. One of the girls (Wendy) was born and raised in Richmond, Ontario, Canada so there's that, too:

http://youtu.be/4HoSsaxuD5k

EXO Kai and Sehun on the cover of Grazia. I just can't even deal with Kai's hotness factor at this point. Even if the hair does look terrible.

fMEbMg8.jpg

vBYZ8Zf.jpg

IuB3YjM.jpg

Just please stop whatever it is you are doing, Kim Jongin!

More here (plus always amusing comments): http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/13841110.html#comments#comments. The interview itself is cute (if random and basic). Not sure I believe that they don't drink alcohol, lol.

Edited by Cat

• Members

Didn't Big Bang have lots of fights last time they did an album? GD and Taeyang vs some of the others over what they wanted the album to sound like? I heard they worked through it, but maybe they needed a long break afterwards. In any case, two years is a super long time. Any other group not as big as BB and they would have been forgotten by now. But BB fans are loyal!

HyunA interview about her album (and some not-so-great photos makeup-wise but it's humid, hot and rainy season in Korea right now). I didn't realize the President of Korea dissed her song!

http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/91691-hyunas-thoughts-on-her-album-the-opportunities-she-gets-and-on-top-girl-groups-like-snsd-and-2ne1/

ource: Ilgan Sports

Translations: @purpleprisms

BuUFEcECcAAf2mr.jpg

Q: For this album, a lot of Hyuna's ideas on music went into it.

Hyuna: "I believe it's an album tailor-made to Hyuna. That was why I worried a lot. Since I talk about my stories only, it felt good inside, it was refreshing. And because of that, I couldn't help but worry that the general public wouldn't relate to it. That was my concern."

Q: Was there any reason in particular as to why you wanted to talk about yourself now [through this album] ?

Hyuna: It was just that I had fun doing that. To make this album, I had purposely taken plenty of time to work together with Cube's in-house producers and artists. Looking back, it wasn't that I expressly said "I want it to be about myself, to tell my stories." It only turned out that way, it only ended up being an album about myself. Another reason would be that I was also especially close to the staff which made me feel at ease. So, like this, it naturally happened.

Q: What do you think was the most memorable moment for you while making this album?

Hyuna: There was a time when I felt hurt. It was when I made President Hong Seung Sun listen to a song I had worked on for the album, telling him I wanted it to be the title track. In the span of two months, I had only been working on that single song, you know. But when he finally heard it, he said that it was average, that there was nothing much to it. I felt very sorry to the staff who had worked on it with me. Especially to producer Brian Lee. I was so sorry to him I ended up crying.

Q: What do you think about before getting on stage?

Hyuna: I don't think about anything else. To the point that I even tell myself not to forget what I've practiced during rehearsals. No matter how much preparation you put into it, there is only 40% to 60% of what you've learned during dance practice in the training room that comes out of it.

BuUEDwFCMAEj18j.jpg

Q: Excluding Hyunseung, any ambitious male singer you'd like to collaborate with?

Hyuna: There's none. From promoting as 4minute, as a solo to Trouble Maker, if I said that there was a male singer I'd want to work with, wouldn't that mean that I'm very greedy?

Q: Your first chance at your dream of becoming a singer?

Hyuna: It was thanks to my dad that I could dance as a child. When I was 9, my dad took me to Daehangno (cultural quarter in Seoul). A B-Boy crew was there, holding a radio tape while others were dancing in circles, whirling. Seeing this at the time, I told myself "Am I capable of doing what they do?" I'm really thankful to my dad for giving me the chance of even having this kind of thoughts. After receiving that shock, and the impact it had on me, he didn't decide for me or order me. I told myself "Waw. This is amazing. I will do this!" deciding for myself. He gave me the leasure to do that.

Q: It is said that if one takes up dancing at a young age, one suffers from chronic pains.

Hyuna: There was a once a time when I collapsed due to a severe condition. If I endure too much for a long time I end up collapsing. During the year-end festivals of last year, a doctor who treated me at the time said that I had a fever of 40. I had endured the pain in this state for three days straight. When I went to the hospital, the doctors said to me, "How could you possibly endure this fever?" It turned out that I had caught the influenza A virus. It was upon hearing them talk that I realized "Ah, I must be sick."

Q: After you've decided to become a singer, you appeared on Win Win, didn't you?

Hyuna: I didn't. Since I had no talent [to show.] I dropped out of the audition as well. Because we were asked to show an individual talent or we had to be good with words, I couldn't do any of these things. I was short and I had too many weaknesses. Then I thought that if I were to make up for my weaknesses, there was only one thing that I could show off. And that one thing was dancing.

Q: You're Cube's representative star. From going solo, to Trouble Maker and 4minute. Why didn't this question "Why Me?" ever cross your mind?

Hyuna: Because it would be as if complaining while being full. It would be ungrateful and short-sighted thinking. I think of it while being grateful, I really am. Because these are special opportunities that are given to me.

Q: The word of town is that the life expectancy of girl groups is generally of 7 to 8 years.

Hyuna: My members and I discuss this topic often. I think we probably have been talking about it since debut. "What will happen if my members and I fail?" "What if we can't receive love from the general public?" this kind of thoughts. Despite that, 4minute is already into its seventh year. Time really flies. However, in our case we will always remain the same. The only thing that has changed until now is our sense of responsibility towards each other and our confidence in each other. In the future as well, we won't think about going our separate ways. When we held our European tour, the tickets to our shows were sold out. When our concert ended, we told each other, "How far can we go, until when will we be able to do what we do?" The surrounding atmosphere was odd so one of us jumped and said "Hey, don't bring that up."

Q: If you were to draw 4minute's growth graph?

Hyuna: To be honest, 4minute hasn't had a big upturn. Regardless, we have a strong sense of confidence and pride regarding our team work. We always tell ourselves that, rather than wanting to receive a lot of love (ie. be popular), our desire to show off our own performances and tell the world about it is stronger.

Q: What is a performance that belongs only to 4minute like?

Hyuna: I love songs like "Muzik." Because there is something to it that defines us, that only we can bring. A powerful feel.

Q: Aren't you envious of the "wall that can't be surpassed"'s girl groups like SNSD and 2NE1?

Hyuna: Let's say we suddenly long for it. On the way to there, as we dream of it, in reality we can't get close to that spot we've wanted to reach. Then the ones who would have it hard would be us. Rather than saying "We're #1, therefore we are the best." we want to show how unique we are. The only.

~ 4minute's motto: We're not aiming to be the best but the only

Edited by Cat

• Members

Thanks for that CL clip! She was absolutely lovely and I loved seeing the behind the scenes stuff with her and of course the english.

I dont know about BB fighting amongst each other. Thats not something I read

2PM

tumblr_na3p7umh0G1rnngelo1_500.png
In other KPop news, JYP has confirmed that 2PM will finally make their comeback with a full length album this September!

tumblr_na3opbY7kH1qilzdno1_500.jpg
Right now they are in hte middle of the JYP Nation 2014 concerts. Looks like Junho ditched the blonde and has gone back to his natural look
Edited by Cheap21

• Members

Junho looks so hot!! Sorry to sound surprised but he looks better as a brunette.

Yeah, when Taeyang gave an interview a few months ago to promote Rise, he spoke frankly about the differences he and G-D had with other members of BB when they di their last album. He said everything got resolved but for a while there, there was tension with all these very opposing viewpoints on the direction of the music.

I have discovered somebody called Taemin who is the maknae of SM's SHINee and also EXO Kai's biffle. His solo mini-albm is going to drop on MOnday and he has already leaked two track from it: Ace of Ace and Pretty Boy (featuring a rapping Kai, lol). Tomorrow at SMTown, Taemin and Kai will perform Pretty Boy live. Taemin is known for his dancing expertise so hopefully there will be some great choreography. Both songI really rate btw: Ace of Ace has a definite Michael Jackson sound while Pretty Boy has a catchy hook and base. If I can find them, I will post them tomorrow (my laptop that I'm on right now is moody so I won't try here).

CL instagrammed a picture of her and Brian May of Queen, lol. She is meeting her idols!

• Members

LOL, hope I'm not being annoying by posting this -- no worries if you don't feel like listening to something new from K Pop, we have quite enough music on our hands already! :)

Taemin video teaser Danger. laugh.png I can't with SM's styling department.

Snippet of the first single Ace of Ace (or "I Heart Michael Jackson")

Pretty Boy (audio only) featuring RapperKai)

http://k-j-j-k-t-y.tumblr.com/post/94730081917

Other than that, not much is going on... I hope this means BigBang are busy putting their album together and BtoB are preparing their comeback! In other news, the Pope is in South Korea, so maybe CL will instagram a photo with him, too. smile.png

She has a photo of herself in a red top and black-and-white skirt where she looks SO stunning. Her hair looks darker, too:

http://instagram.com/chaelin_cl

Edited by Cat