Soaps back stage crap, feuds, and irna phillips

• Members

I remember me reading a post from one of my previous threads I made about how did we find out about back stage feuds and someone said they had no idea about Irna Phllips craziness, how Crazy the set of GH and AW was

Can anyone elaborate on these? What other juicy behind the scenes stuff happened throughout the years? What about Irna! I know she was coo-coo-ka-choo but on what level? Am I the only one who thinks the behind the scenes stuff is more dramatic than the actual storylines?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Irna was just an eccentric woman.

GH had actors with issues in the 80s and I also believe AMC had the same issues. I think Jacqueline Babbin cleaned up the drugs on AMC.

I don't know anything about AW behind the scenes.

• Members

Sometimes behind the scenes is far more interesting than what's on the screen. As AW is my favorite soap of all-time I would love to hear any stories about back stage drama. Though relatively speaking I don't remember reading much about AW other than issues during Jacquie Courtney and George Reinholdt's time back in the day.

• Members

Any juicy stuff from ATWT's heyday? I know that Colleen Pinter and Hillary Bailey Smith disliked each other, but I never heard why. Other than that, I don't remember any big feuds behind the scenes...or did I just miss them?

• Members

There was supposedly conflict between Colleen and Jacqueline Schultz which helped convince Arianne Munker to leave the show.

There was a fair amount of tension between Liz Hubbard and Felicia Minei Behr - Behr is the only producer I can remember Hubbard speaking out about, and she essentially said Behr mocked her as an actress.

Melanie Smith did not like working with Greg Beecroft at all - I think she said he was her least favorite co-star.

• Members

Rumors were that Hillary was a prankster on the set and also made fun of CZP and she wasnt too amused by it. I always thought the fun/silly side of Margo was true HBS in real life. That's why she fit the part so well.

They did...by that time though Gregory looked very thin and too gaunt. He had lost his hot looks. Melanie said he was very difficult to work with...

• Members

I don't know whether this is true, but I've read over the years how MK had threatened to sue Rauch for sexual harassment before P&G transplanted her to GUIDING LIGHT and had Doug Marland create the character of Vanessa for her. Again, though, that might be pure fabrication.

Has anyone else heard the story about Susan Seaforth Hayes punching Kaye Stevens (or another actress) in the face in the ladies' room on the NBC Burbank lot?

I wonder whether Harley Jane Kozak, who played his love interest, Annabelle, on GUIDING LIGHT found him difficult to work with as well?

• Members

As for Irna, no one ever called her crazy. She was apparently an extremely intelligent woman and remained so right to the end. What she was was a very tough woman, who could not be crossed, and who had toys only she could play with. There's something very poignant about how, near the end of her life, she began putting these idealized versions of herself on the screen, like Kim on ATWT. Somehow this doesn't offend me the way that the JFP haircut parade of AW and OLTL used to offend me.

If you want any details on all her feuds and how she would get payback, then we could provide that, I'm sure. But you may already know all that.

• Members

I've always believed Irna had to be tough, because -- let's face it -- all the "suits" at P&G, the different advertising agencies, and the networks were old-fashioned men with old-fashioned ideas about women. Even if they happened to be correct about some things, Irna felt that if she yielded even once to them, she'd lose all creative control in the end.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know whether Susan Lucci ever had any issues with any of her ALL MY CHILDREN co-stars besides Sarah Michelle Gellar.

• Members

It's nice to know that Y&R is not the only messed up set (at least back then)

I still wish we had more details of other stuff that went on behind the scenes there, particularly the 80's and early 90's.

This may shock all of you as id did me, but i heard that Veronica Forrest that played Mamie wasn't as nice as Mamie was and that she actually locked herself in her dressing room and halted production for 30 minutes.

The same source i got that information from said that apparently Heather Tom and Tricia cast were both mean too, Heather i'm not really surprised, but Tricia seems like a sweetheart.

Archived