Trayvon Martin Killing

Eric83

• Members

My thoughts are with Travyon's parents and family. I hope that they find the strength to get through this terrible time.

I was watching CNN today and a lawyer said that he thought that George should have gotten the manslaughter charge. He listed reasons, including reasons that the lawyer you posted about mentioned. He also said that in some states if someone brings a gun to a fistfight and someone gets killed that person can be charged with manslaughter.

Racial problems are bad enough, but I feel like this issue makes things even more alarming.

I think that it is sad that we live a in a society where someone can follow and confront someone who isn't even bothering them or committing a crime, kill that person and get away with it. And other people will act like it's perfectly natural and normal to do something like that. Some people are acting like it's okay to confront and then kill people if they think that those people are/look suspicious even if those people aren't bothering anyone or committing a crime, before they are confronted. Society already has tons of violence and excessive death in it, this type of thing just adds to that. It's awful that people can just go around killing other people like this and others will say it's okay. It's terrible and lessens the value of human life.

I feel like George Zimmerman should legally pay for something. He shouldn't be able to just completely get away with killing an unarmed teenager, who was minding his business at the time that he confronted him. I feel like him getting convicted of manslaughter would have been appropriate, but I feel like he should have at least been punished legally in some way, even if it's a lesser charge than manslaughter.

Travyon was a human being whose life had value and meant something. To me this verdict says that his life wasn't valued enough to warrant a punishment for the person who killed him. Human life needs to be valued more than this. I think that George Zimmerman really should have been punished in some way legally, even if it was a lesser charge than manslaughter.

Also I think that George Zimmerman's brother should stop talking on the news. I think that his brother is acting smug about the whole case.I think that George definitely should not act like his brother is acting about the verdict and the case. If his brother keeps talking the way he is he may get some threats of his own, (if he hasn't already received threats).

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, but him being suspended from school does not mean he's a "thug" or a "criminal" that deserved for a trigger happy mentally unstable racist (who had no business having a gun) to kill him. I was suspended from school too. Does that mean if I go walking down the street in the US and someone thinks I look "suspicious" that its okay for them to hunt me down and shoot me and that they'll be justified because once time I happened to have been in some trouble so must be a troublemaker?

Also, the clothes argument is so tired. Only someone looking for an excuse to label and judge someone would jump right to "OMG a hoodie, he must be a thug" or "OMG she's wearing a tight dress, she must be a prostitute".

• Members

I remember reading somewhere that the Zimmerman family wasn't all that close, particularly Robert and George, who were not really on speaking terms. In court, the whole family seemed a bit mismatched and awkward, like there was no love lost there.

• Members

LOL! Don't get me started on the weed thing. I have only done it once but I know SO MANY people who did it on the regular and who still do and they are upstanding law abiding citizens. I just can't with them acting like that's proof one is a thug.... Chile :rolleyes:

• Members

Yep that moron Frank Taaffee kept clinging to the marijuana in his system as proof that he was high and/or in withdrawals when confronted by Zimmerman. But when asked about Zimmerman's run in with a police officer he explained it away that George was 18/19 years old and there was alot of drinking going on and he made a mistake.

So in his mind it's OK for George to be drinking underage and getting bold with a police officer? wacko.png

I need to stop thinking about this, it makes my head and heart hurt.

• Members

You are all welcome to move down here to Australia with me.

I was suspended three separate times. What a thug I am. When I lived in the US, I'm surprised I was even allowed to walk down the street. :rolleyes:

Right? I wear short dresses and heels and tight clothes all the time too. Clearly I'm asking for someone to proposition me for sex or for someone to assault me because I was "asking for it".

Maybe its because I live somewhere where weed is such a nonentity and people grow it on their front porch (shoutout to my neighbours), but I can't believe that they kept clinging to that. Just more excuses to try and blame the victim. SMH

• Members

You make Australia sound wonderful. I admit that I actually looked into relocating there after the 2010 election. (My company has an office in Sydney.)

I was never suspended but I have been a C student and I've also walked down the street with an iced tea so clearly somebody didn't do their job and kill me like they were supposed to. As for weed, I'm firing up right now. cool.png

• Members

The game's been rigged for hundreds of years. Let's not be blinded by anger. Let's channel that anger and morph it into positivity. Let's not let Trayvon's death have been in vain. May God bless his soul and the souls of all of our fallen brothers and sisters who've suffered injustice by the hands of darkness. We must continue to fight against the inequities of the system, we must continue to love thru our pain.
Everyone pray for the Martin family!
George Zimmerman alone must live with the reality that he killed another human being. And for that, he will ultimately be judged by the only true judge..

• Members

The defense made pot seem like PCP or Meth, or the sort of prescription drugs Zimmerman was only. Zimmerman was never drug tested after the incident, so who knows if meds or lack of meds had anything to do with his mental state during the shooting.

Archived