Worst Accents

• Members

Foreign, regional, fake accents,etc. Which soap character's had the worst accents?

My list includes any of Luke and Lucky's fake accents

Sioban's on GH's Irish accent. The Lucky Charm's accent was so irritating

Phillipe on Y&R's French accent that dropped every other word

Lily on Y&R's Valley accent

Ethan on GH's Austrailan accent that made him sound like he had marbles in his mouth

Any of Bo's fake accents.

Antonio on Passions Southern drawl

The bad accents in that horrid telenovela fansty on Passions

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was probably as fake as Obama's Libya story, but I must admit I LOVED Michael Swan's Scottish accent as Duncan McKechnie on ATWT. I so associated the accent with him that I was totally disoriented when he didn't use it on B&B.

• Members

I do get headaches from the high pitched valley accents and damn if it didn't seem like so many of the females ABC hired in the past 5+ years had squeaky voices. It was to the point where I started muting my tv through various characters on GH, AMC, and when I would try to watch OLTL.

The only one I give a small pass to is KW's Barbie voiced self because she had those speech issues.

• Members

Sadly, the worst accent ever delivered on daytime was delivered by Matthew Ashford's Jack Deveraux. I don't even know what to call it. It was just weird and for no real reason. In 2001 the directors/writers/producers (basically meaning Tom Langan and/or Steve Wyman) had him talking in a funny way at times. I can't describe it....words really can't do it justice.

When Matt returned in 2001 there were some serious backstage issues, ones that never resolved themselves and dogged him right up until his 2012 departure. The way the show handled him was never normal....even taking into account bad stories/character direction that affects everyone at some point. With MA/Jack there was always a fight to minimize his character, or outright attempt make him unlikeable. And this for someone who was once the biggest star on the show and the most popular actor on daytime.

Ironically, Langan was the ONLY writer (save Anne Schoettle for 2 weeks in 2006 when Matt and Missy were leaving, and this coincided with her taking the helm for a couple weeks in advance of Hogan Scheffer's arrival) who actually gave MA/Jack good airtime and a frontburner story the entire time he wrote for him.

Archived