Would Cheers have lasted 11 years if Shelley Long stayed

BKuzak

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think it would have lasted as long with Shelley as a regular but I wish she had returned for guest stints over the years. I remember they touted the 200th episode as the return of Shelley Long, and then it turned out she was just sitting on a panel for a clip show. It was heavily implied that she was returning as Diane, so I thought it a dirty trick to play.

After seeing how fabulous she really was in her return in that last episode, I wished it had happened a little more often. Not every season, but maybe 3 or 4 episodes from 87-93.

• Members

Yes it would have been fun to see her actually come back in "six months' like she promised and see how Cheers had changed. how the world didn't end when she left the bar. How Rebecca was now running things and Sam being just a bartender. She would have gloated that after she left him his life fell apart.

She would have loved John Allen Hill, especially when he tried to turn Cheers into a Melville's lounge. Sam even said, "He's turning this place into something Diane would have liked."

Archived