What did Agnes do for ATWT?? Did she create Lisa??

allmc2008

• Members

I think I heard somewhere that she created Lisa. Is that true? Also, I was wondering what she did do for that show. I watched AN's archive interview and she said that Irna wanted to credit her and Bill Bell as co creators of ATWT or that she did credit them. I thought Agnes was on there for a short time and went to GL.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I was under the impression that Agnes co-created ATWT, but was only there for a year as Irna wanted herself and Bill Bell (who was on GL) to work on ATWT, so she gave Agnes Guiding Light. As far as I am aware Agnes left ATWT in 1957.

As far as I am aware Lisa was created in 1960 and presumably by either Irna or Bill. I have no idea how involved Bell was in the creation of ATWT, though he apparently contributed to the creation of Days of Our Lives which I had not known about. Since he was working with Irna on GL in 1956 it is possible he helped create the show.

Though I have very little knowledge of this so hopefully someone who knows better will chime in.

• Members

Robert LaGuardia's book talks about the creation of ATWT and stresses that Irna and Ted Corday were the driving forces behind the creation and early years of the show,It appears Bill and Agnes did not have major roles at that time.

Agnes went to GL in 57 and stayed through 66/67, at one point writing both AW and GL.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Irna co-created ATWT with Agnes and Ted Corday. I've seen the original presentation bible in Agnes' archive at Northwestern and their names are listed on it. It seems Ted was handling the business side of the show while Agnes and Irna worked on the bible and pilot presentation for CBS. They sold the show together and each received a slice of the fee. Here's what I typed up from that original bible (Note: You aren't allowed to take photos or make copies):

___

Undated final presentation for AS THE EARTH TURNS

Cover page:

AS THE EARTH TURNS”

By

IRNA PHILLIPS

AGNES ECKHARDT NIXON

TED CORDAY

AS THE EARTH TURNS

Copyrighted

Corday Productions, Inc.

315 Central Park West

New York 25, NY

ENdicott 2-2694

____
From the final presentation for “AS THE WORLD TURNS”

WHY THE THIRTY MINUTE EPISODE

The thirty minute daily episode, while retaining all that is good in present dramatic serial programming will permit the presentation of a completely rounded episode each day.

The thirty minute episode will permit the proper utilization of the television medium heretofore impossible in the fifteen minute episode. Time for believable character development, proper motivation and situation building will remove the present audience feeling of “chopped-off”, hurried episodes, that exist in the fifteen minute medium.

Irna & Bill Bell created "Lisa" together. She first appears in Episode #1078 which aired on May 18, 1960. Agnes was working on GL; Bill was writing dialogue for ATWT.  

Archived