Lecy or Sarah?

juppiter

Which Becky was better  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Becky from Roseanne is better?

• Lecy Goranson
    • Sarah Chalke

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lecy, without a doubt. So much about the character of Becky was changed once Sarah took over, and it eventually got to the point where she was all but a walk-on character for awhile--BUT, I think I understand what Roseanne was trying to get across--that even a young girl who is an overachiever can find herself unable to unlock her potential if she is from a working-class background, which can mean getting married right of high school (or in Becky's case, as she began her senior year of high school).

Still, Lecy is my Becky, and I loved that she considered going back to school when she came back in Season 8.

Oddly enough, Sara Gilbert is actually older than Sarah Chalke.

• Members

Lecy, the character was always smarter with her in the role and she gave as good as she got in her exchanges with Darlene and Roseanne.

Chalke essentially just played a blonde bimbo, who was walked all over by Darlene in their arguments.

The writing for the character always changed between the two actresses, even when Lecy briefly returned in season 8 and then Sarah returned later in season 8.

• Members

Exactly. I think it's interesting how much they drained the intelligence out of Becky once Sarah took over, only to bring it back once Lecy came back. Granted, she's the real Becky as far as I'm concerned, but still, they could have kept her intelligence intact even as some of her dreams inevitably were dashed as Sarah played the part.

One other thing someone on another board mentioned once: the Becky/Darlene relationship often seemed nastier when Sarah was in the role.

• Members

Season 5 is by far the best and my favourite season of Roseanne, and as we know, Becky was written out early in that season.

I think the show really came into its own when Darlene was the main focus of the children, rather than Becky - who always seemed like a spoiled brat. Darlene always had more depth as a character.

I also liked that Sara Gilbert was billed separately from the other children in the credits (starting in season 4, I think), and the show worked around Sara Gilbert's East Coast college schedule to still maintain a presence for Darlene on the show, which they didn't do for Lecy/Becky.

• Members

I LOVE season 5--really, I love seasons 3-6 the best--ironic, given those were the years Tom Arnold and Roseanne produced the show together (I actually don't mind Arnie as much as some, but whatever).

I think in the case of Lecy, though, when she went off to Vassar, she just wanted to go off to college and have a regular college life. She did technically come back while she was still there, but couldn't do the Disney World episodes, for example, so Sarah came back.

I love David & Darlene too, though, much more than I did when I was younger.

• Members

"Roseanne" is the best sitcom to me, ever. It just goes beyond comedy and is the only show to ever adequately portray how the working/middle class lives... it also did drama at times without resorting to the "Very Special Episode." Like, Jackie gets beat up by her boyfriend and I *care*, because I care about the character. To me, season 1 is the best. Seasons 2-6 are great. Seasons 7-9 are flawed with moments of greatness. And I love the last episode and wouldn't change a thing about it.

Anyway, I do prefer Lecy. She was obnoxious at times but that's just an accurate portrayal of an American teenager. Sarah Chalke I think was sabotaged by bad writing. They totally changed Becky.

Archived