Lecy or Sarah?

juppiter

Which Becky was better  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Becky from Roseanne is better?

• Lecy Goranson
    • Sarah Chalke

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Sarah's Becky resembled any of the characters.

I always thought Becky was supposed to be a younger version of Jackie - the one that had all the potential in the world, but made stupid decisions that cost her a lot of what she could have had.

Darlene was definitely more of a younger Roseanne, but Darlene did accomplish a lot of what Roseanne wished she could have done (going to college and being a writer for example).

• Members

Lecy.

Was not bothered by Chalke during the run, but in hindsight, realized how much better was with Goranson in the role.

Chalke was best on Scrubs. I enjoyed Chalke on HIMYM too.

Towards the end of her initial run, Lecy-as-Becky got on my nerves. She was bratty and annoying. However she was a great foil for Gilbert's Darlene, who may not have realized her potential beyond child-actor-who-can-pull-off-some-great-lines to good actress without Lecy-as-Becky. (check out first-season Darlene) Darlene softened the edges for the audience.

I, too, think Roseanne is one of the best portrayals of working-class life I've seen, and certainly one of the best sitcoms ever. If not for the final two seasons, I think it would be at the top.

(But I appreciated the finale more than many, as well)

• Members

The seasons I like best, particularly #5, is actually without Becky, but if I had to choose I'd pick Lecy. I liked Sarah Chalke but the tenor of the character changed dramatically when she took over the role. Becky had always been smart and prim, but with Chalke in the role Becky was just a dumb blonde living in a trailer park.

• Members

To me Roseanne was a show where even after it jumped the shark it never became TOTALLY unwatchable -- though there are some difficult episodes like the terrorists on a train episode or the Gilligan's Island episode. But yeah, Roseanne is such a better character in the earlier seasons. As she said in the finale, she walked a tight line between tradition and progress. In the early seasons Roseanne is snarky and a strong woman, but she definitely has a sweet side when necessary. In the later seasons she's more negative and just plain mean.

• Members

There were a lot of weaker episodes in the last few seasons, but one in particular that I do like cements my love for Lecy's version of Becky even more--Season 8's "Becky Howser, M.D.", when it looks like Becky might leave the trailer park life with Mark and try to go to the University of Illinois to study medicine. I understand why she might have decided not to, but I think it would've been great to see her go back to school, particularly since they were never going to let Sarah's Becky try to do that.

Archived