ABC Entertainment Chief Talks AMC & OLTL

• Members

Not surprising in the least, but still a good read. And I wouldn't watch The Chew even if ABC where the only channel I could get on my TV.....

ABC talks soaps: No plans to revive 'All My Children' or 'One Life to Live'

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/07/abc-talks-soaps-no-plans-to-revive-all-my-children-or-one-life-to-live.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't imagine who thought that was an actual option at this point.

I can see the properties potentially being revived in some fashion in the future, somewhere, but on the network itself in the old timeslot? I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it.

• Members

No matter how you slice it, a soap remains more expensive than a reality or specialty show. They're not going to take a step back in that direction. If a drama ever appears in ABC Daytime again, it'll be a primetime rerun.

I have wondered though... what if a show like The Talk (for whatever reasons, I can see them doing this before The View) or some new, fun talk show had a mini-soap woven into it? Like at every commercial break. "Now let's check back in with LV and Sacha over in human resources who are in the middle of steamy copy room run-in...", or what have you. An entire "episode" could amount to four loaded minutes. Just something cute and fun that could be totally OTT and satirical, or just classic soap and potentially of great quality. Scenes with no more than three actors at a time paid at scale who could crank out months' worth of episodes in days, written by a qualified writer already on staff or some newbie with an interest in this who just got his degree and WGA card through this gig.

I could see Rosie doing this.

Archived