SoapLine- ABC Soap Talk Show

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E159IOrbA0I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E159IOrbA0I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E159IOrbA0I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here's another example of Soap Talk at the beginning of this episode. Is this the first full-blown "previously on..." on a soap?

• Members

I remember the day this aired, the recap of Noah shouting and scaring off Kendall. It was indeed the first "previously on" I had ever seen and it was almost surreal.

SoapLine was produced by Linda Gottlieb, fresh off of OLTL. She still had some deal with ABC. Calling SoapLine a "show" is a little generous, it wasn't much more than these interstitials that you see.

• Members

Oof, I don't know why I never made the timeline connection, but it disappoints me to hear LG's feelings re: Blair since she cast Mia herself.

I would like to see the one about the screen tests for Tina.

• Members

SoapLine worked best as just what it was. Kind of like Reba's little intros during A Daytime to Remember. Actually, it would have been nice if SoapLine had continued up until present even if only for GH. I think it would have been nice to see quick bts snippets with the actors and crews of each show. There were endless aspects of the shows to cover.

• Members

I vaguely remember this. I really don't know why I have no recollection of the Simpson trial era. It wasn't like I was too young to remember or anything. Nevertheless, people keep blaming OJ for the soaps decline and I can't, for the life of me, remember this affecting me or my soap viewing. Odd.

• Members

Same for me. I already had washed my hands of most of my CBS soaps by the time the OJ stuff started and I only sporadically tuned in. I must have missed most of the preemptions. I started getting into ABC in summer 1995 and again there were not so many preemptions that I noticed.

• Members

R., you and I are the same age and we were in the 10th grade when this was all going down. (Lord, I remember us gathered around the TV during 5th period when the verdict dropped and the explosion of mixed reactions.) At any rate, seeing as how school was in session, catching the soaps was hit or miss for me as usual, some days we taped, some days we didn't, sometimes I missed weeks as a time... so I think that's why I look back and see O.J. as a blip on my overall soap viewing. My school year soap viewing was always sporadic. Granted, I wasn't at home all day every day like an elderly person or a house wife/husband, but frankly, if you were such a person whose daytime life was in the home (especially if you had no cable), you were probably going to start watching the stories when they came back on anyway. The only people I imagine really throwing in the towel were Type A recorders who came home night after night to a tape full of O.J. and finally just said, "[!@#$%^&*] it!"

Archived