Y&R to become Hollywood Heights for the daytime

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what I keep laughnig at. I keep reading that JFP will [ insert something MAB already did to the show]

Who's this insider? MAB?

Jill was willing to play ball. She wasn’t really happy after being fired by [ABC/Disney] from ‘General Hospital,’ and she wanted to go back to daytime. She has an agenda, she wants to prove she’s not poison to a show. She was not pleased just being relegated to ‘Hollywood Heights’, a super-cheap soap, and lobbied hard to get Maria’s job,” said the insider.

• Members

I don't see the problem in moving forward and making the younger characters come to the forefront. Isn't that what is supposed to happen in soaps? Their biggest problem (especially DAYS) is that they are clinging on to the past. I'm not saying throw Victor in the closet, but this man has been in the forefront for the better part of 30 years.

And I love how they put canceled next to every soap she produced save for GH like she was the EP at all of those shows when they were canceled. Lol MAB is pathetic, I know she is involved in this. Nobody would ever go this hard for her.

• Members

The target demo of Hollywood Heights is 12-17 so I'd be surprised if many outside of that demo enjoy it. That's why it's so stupid for them to try to have an established soap like Y&R emulate it. The vast majority of Y&R's audience is over 18, so why try to make it more like a show targeted at tweens? Teens aren't gonna flock to a daytime soap just because teen characters are on it.

• Members

The main problem with Y&R now is that there are zero viable younger characters. Bill Bell had many viable younger characters while writing for vets. If you watch episodes from 1992, you see Dru, Victoria, Neil, Olivia, etc. in major story at the same time as Nikki, Victor, Katherine. They weren't as young as Sony may want now, but it was still a good generational balance.

Every time Y&R has tried to cast younger characters in recent years, they cast a) bad actors b ) boring actors c) actors who look WAY TOO OLD d) write extremely unpleasant, nasty younger characters. The only one I have cared about is Noah, and

MAB can't write for young or old characters. She destroyed all of the older characters. And only a handful of them even have story.

• Members

Not one person said they are trying to emulate Hollywood Heights but that MAB lover. No one said anything about all teen characters either, We've already established that teens don't want to watch real teens on soaps. However they do need to bring a few strong 20/30 something year old characters to the forefront.

And MAB has already done the whole musical producer story and Abby has that lame ongoing reality show.

• Members

I must be losing it, because I could swear the author of this article said MAB's biggest flaw as a producer was that she fought too hard for the veteran characters. Really? THAT's the biggest flaw? Oooooohkay.

• Members

Ironically, Bill and Lee Phillip Bell created Y&R as a show with special emphasis on the youth; so, if SONY is actively seeking younger viewers (which isn't exactly out of the question, given the current climate w/in the entertainment industry), it's not as if doing so goes against everything Y&R has ever stood for. As Carl has said, though, Papa Bell and his team did a better job casting and writing for younger characters than MAB.

• Members

in all fairness who has? Other than B&B no other soap realiy has done a good job of fostering viable younger characters in years and are therefore pushing the same tired played out characters and stories on the audience that they have for years.

Maybe Jill has a magic touch and can do this. She had moderate success at GH for a while, although none of the younger characters there today are really that likable or viable, but they did have story at one time.

• Members

I think GH did a decent job of this up to a few years ago; I often didn't like many of the younger characters, but they did have something of a following, up to the time of the first Michael and Kristina recasts.

Archived