Donna Summer dies at 63

All My Shadows

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got reamed out on a Broadway forum for calling it new wave (who knew there were Broadway punk fans?)

Reading all of these posts makes me happy. I feel ashamed to say it but, no other celebrity death has affected me like this--I spent the first two days in bed. RIP Donna

• Members

We were all thinking of you, Eric - you were the first thing I thought of when I heard this news. And I really did gain a whole new appreciation for Donna over the last few years because of your posts.

I read that the Billboard Awards cut a tribute to her short so ABC could go to an ad break. Reason #9438 why I skip most awards shows.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Eric did you see the tribute on the BET Awards? It was a whopping 1 minute and 44 seconds! The tribute for Whitney Houston was 20 minutes. I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. Donna deserved a full tribute. The sad thing is, what they did show was great, but her career was so much. I don't understand how a network devoted to African Americans can spit on a legend like that.

• Members

I may be totally wrong about this -- and if I am, I'd love it if someone corrected/elaborated -- but I've always gotten the idea that Donna has never really been seen as "one of ours" in the way Whitney, Aretha, Patti, etc. have been. I think it's disgusting treatment.

• Members

Which is really interesting since Whitney probably had the biggest backlash from the black community for being a "sellout" than any other artist from 1985 onwards.

Though, I do think Donna was never seen as an artist with much reputation in the black community. While disco was heavily influenced by a lot of what was "black music" it was still far more associated with gay men and the club scene, and not what was "black/R&B music." Not to mention, Donna had no problem experimenting with rock, new-wave, eletronica, etc - genres which typically are more geared towards white audiences.

Hell, if you went to a Donna Summer concert, you were bound to see more white people in the audience the black. That was my experience at least. The same is true for Tina Turner, but it never seems to get mentioned with her.

Archived