Nashville: Discussion Thread

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm growing to really like this show. It isn't a drug for me like Scandal but I'm developing a really solid affection for it. My love for Connie Britton knows no bounds and Hayden Panettiere has really grown on me. It looks like ABC Daytime has really made cross promotion with primetime shows a priority. There was big pimpage for both Katie and GMA. The only drawback for me are the accents. They are all over the place. If this show makes it past S1 I hope they invest in a dialect coach.

• Members

M, I already love it, and last night the PR woman was great! She needs to stick around because she was really savvy. Not to mention, the show could use a few regular black characters. Where is Coleman! Why are we discussing an election and not showing the other candidate?

Love Nashville!

• Members

Nashville gets a full season order.

http://insidetv.ew.c...shville-season/

I'm glad to see this. I think the show has a lot of potential and, frankly, I'm happy for any show that isn't about lawyers, cops, crime scene techs or vampires. Also I love the fact that it's actually shot in Nashville. I'm always happy to see TV production move away from LA to other parts of the country especially when it's done in the name of authenticity.

Plus, I love knowing that I'll get to see more of my girl, Connie Britton.

• Members

Agreed and I'm happy Rayna & Juliette are back to butting heads... I like that they space that out if it was every week that would get old fast. Also very happy that Juliette has found someone seemingly her own age I prefer her and Deacon on a father/daughter level not lovers. Also people were saying that the football guy was on Single Ladies.

• Members

Yeah, who didn't know those pills would come back and cause trouble for Coleman? That was a bit too obvious. I have not seen the entire eppy so I'm hoping Deacon did or will do the right thing.

Wow Deacon! Punk ass! He only went to Coleman to get the ok to NOT do the right thing! Asswhipe! I don't like him anymore, and the rugged exterior won't change that.

Can Makena stay? Please Please Please!!!!!

Scarlett? Over-react much? She giggles like a 5 year old. Man, that grates! Any appeal she and Gunner might have had is gone! There is no rooting value here. She's a child walking around in a grown woman's body, and he's a tattle telling bitch! They almost had me rooting for Avery, and that's a no no!

Coleman needs to be mayor. Teddy is a wuss. I don't mind LaMar being the puppet master, but it's way too obvious that Teddy does not have what it takes to run a lawn mower, let alone a city.

Really enjoying Rayna more and more with each eppy.

Overall, there's a big problem here. Too many characters are turning me off all at once. What's happening here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Why is Nashville not doing better?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Why-ABC-Nashville-Out-Tune-1056760.aspx

I had to laugh at the one about country music being too "limiting" and they should have come up with a different name. Country music is hugely popular and has not only broken into the mainstream, it's dragged the mainstream toward it, inexorably.

I also had to laugh at the part which basically says it's all because of those big liberal cities.

My answer is - ABC can't produce a consistently good or exciting drama to save their lives.

• Members

I have been able to get through the first halves of a few episodes of this show. The last scene I saw was when Hayden Panettiere's character went shoplifting and got caught, next thing she is doing some publicity stunt and getting involved with a football player. I changed the channel. Overall, I find the show tedious and full of too many uninteresting characters with a bunch of unconnected plots.

• Members

I watched the whole episode last night, I even made it through the singing which I can never abide, country or not. As soon as the music company pushed the duet, I knew that a joint tour was in the works. Kudos to the writers for finally coming up with with a way to put its leading ladies in the same story. It took them long enough and it might be too late to save the show, but they finally solved that problem. Too bad the rest of the show continues to be a mess.

The Eric Close political and the Jonathan Jackson character/ his ex-girlfriend stories are extraneous. Either they need to go or they have been to tied more closely to the main All about Eve story. Eric Close's character should drop out of politics and become Rayna' manager so he can go on the tour. Jonathan Jackson and his chick should also go on the tour as the opening act. Hell, everyone needs to go on that tour so they can actually interact with each other.

I am struck that two shows that seem so different on the surface like Nashville and Scandal can have so many of the same problems; the leading characters deliberately put in separate stories and barely interacting when the show needs the exact opposite to strive. How often does that happen? Also, distracting side plots with unnecessary intrigue, not to mention poor plotting and dialogue. Nashville does have the stronger supporting cast. Michiel Huisman who plays Liam, Rayna's guitarist, is an insanely talented actor from Treme. I hope they plan to use him as more than a prop.

Btw, the confrontation between Rayna and Juilette was so weak. Blah. Where is the bitchiness? And how could have Rayna built this great music career when she is so malleable and weak in the face of her record company's demands?

• Members

Hee! You and I always see these things so differently but I like seeing your perspective.

I actually like that they built Juliette and Rayna in separate stories for a little while. I was afraid that the show was just going to be one long extended catfight. But by showing us Juliette and Rayna's separate worlds I think it gave them layers that we wouldn't have gotten and it makes their interactions a lot more meaningful. Juliette's bitchiness makes a lot more sense when we see how damaged she is thanks to her mom and Rayna's dismissal of Juliette makes a lot more sense when we see how she views the art of making music. It also gave the show a chance to build Deacon and introduce Liam so that when they are thrown in with Rayna/Juliette it doesn't come off as Team Rayna vs. Team Juliette. I keep thinking of the hot mess that Smash became because the entire show became about a rivalry.

I agree that the Scarlett/Avery and political stories aren't clicking. I think a lot of the reason for that is casting. I'm just not feeling Eric Close in this role (although I think he was good last night) and Powers Booth is approaching mustache twirling levels of villainy. Oddly enough, I have no experience of Jonathan Jackson as Lucky but I think he's a good fit in the role of Avery.

Archived