Nashville: Discussion Thread

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought it was a hot mess. Loved all the Juliette stuff. But the entire Deacon/Rayna/Maddie mess felt really done at warp speed. I despised the ending montage. And I thought Brad Paisley was completely wasted.

I like Juliette and think Hayden has worked her ass off. But I think the rest of the show needs some tightening up in season 2. I know people love Connie Britton, but I think Rayna is the least likeable character on the show, next to that insipid little Claire. I think she's badly cast as a country superstar---ooh, lawd save me from ever having to hear her sing again. Which is a really bad thing on (what is essentially) a singing soap opera.

• Members

I watched the finale and thought aside from Juliette (her scenes with Rayna were gold), it was dreadful. Frankly, I think that the show was lucky to be renewed with those low ratings. The only thing it has going for it is that Hayden Panettiere is the best young actress on tv. I think that next season they should create a triangle with Gunnar, Juliette, and Avery and dump Scarlett. I think that Gunnar and Juliette have similar backgrounds and would really connect as friends and lovers, but she has a nice growing chemistry with Avery.

• Members

I caught some of the finale, and I agree with a few of you. It was a mess, and Scarlett needs to go. She is a child trapped in a woman's body. The fuss over her is ridiculous!

The actor who plays Deacon has yet to bring it. He's awful, and I feel like laughing with him.

How much you willing to bet Scunnar were in that other car?

Rayna driving while trying to grab a bottle out of Deacon's hand? What sense did that make, Rayna? The man's already toasted and taking that bottle won't make him any less drunk, so why do it while behind the wheel? It's was just stupid. There were so many ways to get these 2 into an accident, why take the stupid contrived avenue?

• Members

I hope that the Deacon being the girls father will be carried over into season 2. I was kind of let down with that whole thing especially since that has been hinted at all season. I was kind of hoping that the girl finding the birth certificate/paternity results might have been the last scene of the season. Then viewers would have to wait the whole summer to see the fall-out.

Plus, I would have had Juliette walking into the apartment and finding her mother passed out as another final scene for the season. You would left to wait the whole summer to see if her mother would survive or not.

Though I do wonder what is going on with Rayna/Tandy's father.. sounds like he made some bad deals that will come back to haunt them?

Plus, a little disappointed with the pregnancy bombshell... and why is Scarlett/Gunnar on the show? They are a weak link for me.

Though Deacon in a towel was quite nice :)

• Members

Scarlett (and I don't know where I came up with the name Claire) does need to go. That accent is horrendous.

I like Deacon, but he's been given very little to do, other than !@#$%^&*] anything in sight. I did have the urge to laugh when he flew into a rage at his house, but I think that was more about Scarlett's over the top hysterics than Esten's performance.

And someone really needs to tone down the music...it often overpowers the dialogue. Even SMASH (as bad as it was) usually had the sense to shut the characters up when they were hawking their next iTunes offering.

• Members

The show has way too much music, period. If you are not a country music fan like me or a fan of singing on shows again like me, it is a huge turn off. I change the channel to Chicago Fire as soon as they start singing because I know that it is neverending and most of the time I forget to change it back. They need to start the commercial break two seconds after the music starts and stop trying to sell that music on itunes.

• Members

I think the show needs music, but I'd rather they only sing when the plot calls for it (i.e. during the CMA awards, or if there is audition to land new artists onto Rayna's label).

Plus, I'd rather they scrap the political story and focus on the music industry. I would have had Rayna's dad be the head of a music label while Rayna rebels by refusing to sign at her dad's label.. while Rayna's sister feels passed over because she lacks musical talent even though she has keen business sense.

Plus, I would have had Rayna's husband of been in the business but his career was short-lived and is a house-husband.. who is jealous that Rayna's career has lasted as long as it has.. and decides to work at her dad's label.. thus causing further tension.

I think the Rayna/Deacon backstory works.. and kept the bad blood between the husband and Deacon.

Scarlett and Juliette could have been singing rivals (scarlett has more of an edge) while Avery/Gunnar were also singers. Both Scarlett/Avery/Gunnar trying to get record deals.. and we could have had competition between Rayna's new label, Rayna's dad's label, and perhaps the label that signed Rayna to begin with.

More cutthroat music business stories, less music, and slightly slower paced story telling.

That is how I would have structured the show at the start.

The Juliette story seemed fine the way it was.. Juliette coming from a bad background (the backstory alone being worthy of a country music star) while jealous that Rayna had things handed to her.. while she had to work her ass off to get where she was.

• Members

Considering the show was kind of sold on the Rayna vs Juliette dynamic, they've done precious little with it.

I thought the Rayna (gosh, is that a horrible name or what....)/Deacon back story was fine. And I thought the reveal that Teddy had known all along Maddie wasn't his was a solid move. But there's no chemistry and no jeopardy to this secret coming out.

• Members

I have been complaining about the lack of contact and conflict between Rayna and Juliette as well as the useless political story. Earlier on the thread, I suggested having them tour together to interact with each other more to ramp their rivalry and magically the writers went in that direction, yet they still have barely any contact. RME. ABC replaced Revenge's showrunners and needs to do the same with Nashville.

• Members

I did a binge marathon run of the final episodes of the season on Hulu this past week. The series really started to come together more towards the end after seemingly dragging a bit in the middle of the season

Deacon and Rayna as a couple....ugh no! I don't see any rooting value behind them and don't buy them as these lost loves we should get behind. At least I certainly don't. I prefer Rayna with her husband and wish they had been able to work things out

Peggy...cant stand her! Ive been wishing her to meet an untimely death and I don't like this pregnancy twist.

Juliette...man I really felt bad for her with what her mother did. They succeeded in making her a sympathetic character after a season of being so unlikeable.

Scarlett...like her but wish she'd get more of a backbone

Avery...when the series started, I knew he'd get mixed up with Juliette eventually and there they go hooking up by the end. I can see him getting his big break and being a big star next season and them being a couple

I was confused by the end. Did Rayna and Deacon flip their car or did they cause the other car to flip?

• Members

I was confused by the end. Did Rayna and Deacon flip their car or did they cause the other car to flip?

I was confused too, not being able to tell the difference in the two SUVs. I'm assuming that Rayna and Deacon flipped.

• Members

I've enjoyed the last few episodes of this, though I'm almost surprised it got renewed since the ratings had gone down. I suspect ABC believes in the show and wants it very much to succeed, and I also think the show is going to be re-tooled a bit. I'm thinking there will be a lot more edge and a lot more trash in season 2. In other words, they'll turn it into the TYPICAL nighttime soap. They're alraedy stepping outside the box by adding the gay cowboy, Will (I LOVE HIM). His friendship with Gunnar is SO gonna turn into something more. I think the show has been setting it up by putting distance between Scarlett and Gunnar and moving Avery back into Scarlett's orbit. I'm thinking a Scarlett/Avery/Juliette triangle while Gunnar is off becoming "dangerously" closer to Will.

Archived