Nashville: Discussion Thread

• Members

I was kind of surprised that they got renewed as well, but I guess it rated very high with the 18-34 demo group.. plus had an additional 2 to 3 million viewers when DVR playback was added (i think in some weeks with that added, it beat Chicago Fire).. plus on Hulu it ranks # 2 for the day on Thursdays (when the episode is uploaded).

That's my theory on why it was picked up for season 2. It will be up against the new Ironside (saw previews and don't like it) and CSI. So we shall see how it ranks against the new Ironside next fall.

I do like your ideas about how to improve the show.. though I would write off Scarlett early in the season.. and just focus on Avery/Juliette.. and Will/Gunnar.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, it got renewed because it's on ABC, which has squat...and it has a desirable demo. CBS cancelled Golden Boy (with arguably better writing), which probably averaged 2 million more viewers an episode but had maybe half the 18-34 demo.

• Members

No, that is not why networks cancel shows. They cancel shows that have low ratings in the key 18 to 49 demo. It depending on how the networks' shows are performing overall that determining how low they are willing to let the demo go. ABC is a medium performing network and Nashville's key demo is low for ABC, but it was probably saved because ABC's other dramas like the Red Widow did so poorly in the key 18 to 49 demo.

• Members

I wonder how long Gunnar is planning to withhold Will's unexpected smooch from Scarlett? Will is living in the same house as they are and you would think that Gunnar would want to let her know what their housemate has been up to. Oh, and what's up with Gunnar moving in with Will? The guy tries to slip his tongue down Gunnar's throat and he moves in with him? Really?

• Members

It also loses about half of the 18-34 demo of NCIS:LA (amazingly). Crap like Hawaii 5-0 isn't pulling in many more viewers than GB (maybe a million more), but it's significantly better in the demos (1.7 vs. 1.2)

I'm sure earth mother Scarlett couldn't care less about Will making a move on Gunnar (it's not like Gunnar likes boys). I think she'd be more concerned about his egging Gunnar into drag racing trains or whatever that crap was.

I don't even know how Gunnar ended up living with Will. Last I remember, Scarlett just threw him out.

• Members

LOL. First of all, I think Gunnar will "START" liking men, and that's what all of this is leading to. Secondly, I suspect lots of women would be miffed upon learning that some gay dude put the moves on their man. Even moreso if said gay dude is living snugly in the same space that you share with your man whom he's kissed! And again, Gunnar has mysteriously CHOSEN to become Will's roomie, which I'm sure would raise Scarlett's eyebrow even more, but of course, she knows nothing about the Will/Gunnar smooch.

• Members

Yeah, I am sure that Gunnar will not suddenly become gay. I am also confident that the reason that the writers had him move in with Will is to show that Gunnar overcame his initial homophobia and is accepting of Will's sexuality. Also, it is no mystery that Gunnar moved in with Will as his other friends have disappeared and he has no money.

• Members

I don't think Gunnar was homophobic. He was just freaked out that someone he was becoming a friend with made a pass at him. I think that was a natural reaction and I thought he handled it well. If he was homophobic when that happened, it could have turned up a whole lot worse

• Members

So Gunnar's broke? I don't know that I buy that. I think he has SOME money, at least enough to afford a cheap motel room. Also, Gunnar showed his acceptance of Will when they had that heart-to-heart conversation while still in jail. To have that extend to the two of them living together seems almost bizarre given the circumstances. My guess is that Will has not overcome his crush on Gunnar. Surely, Gunnar has to be aware of this.

• Members

What's exactly bizarre about Gunnar crashing on Will's couch? They're friends. He happens to live just upstairs from where Gunnar's been exiled (I'd say evicted, but we all know sweet little Scarlett won't throw his crap in the street..). 83% of Americans live from paycheck to paycheck, and Gunnar (presumably) just had to bury his brother. It seems pretty realistic to me.

As for Gunnar returning (at some point) Will's feelings? I guess Gunnar could be bi, but just because Will still may have/has feelings, doesn't mean they will ever be returned on that level. Any more than a heterosexual crush would be.

I didn't buy Rayna's excuse for keeping Deacon in the dark for 13-14-15 years either. If you're that afraid that something is going to set him off, why the hell is/was he in your band?

And did I understand that right---Coleman (his sponsor) knew about it and approved of her not telling him? That's not right. (I couldn't understand everything, and was too lazy to turn on the CC.)

Archived