Nashville: Discussion Thread

• Members

Of course, Gunnar is broke. Do you actually watch this show or only the "gay" parts which apparently titillate you. Gunnar is basically a broke musician living from gig to gig and he just buried his brother. How long do you think that he can afford to stay at half-way decent cheap motel even at $35 to 50 per night? You must not understand what it means to be poor in America. I strongly recommend that you read the book, Nickle and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. I will concede that the whole thing is contrived for the drama, but you clearly are looking for some indication that Gunnar must be gay because he is not continuing to freak over Will. This is you projecting your issues about a straight guy befriending a gay guy because nothing that you trying to read from this story has actually been shown on the screen.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good to see that you deleted your "Gunnar is a impending gay" comment. Guess, you must have realized that your overt bigotry went a step too far. Nope, I take it back you edited your post to make sure that it was there for all to see.

• Members

It also very much fits in with ABC's current direction when it comes to dramas which seems to be to focus on slightly (or, ok very) soapy dramas targeted especially to women.

I think I liked it more overall than most of you (which seems rare on this forum ;) ) but I will agree that they hit their plot points ridiculously fast--often missing drama that would be compelling, and too many of the characters were too isolated (ie Rayna and Juliette being the big two whose stories barely interacted, or Scarlett and Gunner, like them or not, had very little interaction.) Near the end, they seemed to be fixing that element, anyway.

I can't see them firing the showrunner, at least not so soon, considering Callie Khouri (who also wrote Thelma and Louise as well as directing dribble like the Ya Ya Sisterhood) is married to T-Bone Burnett who was largely responsible for all the music and his name within the country-pop music industry was a huge selling point for the show. (I actually liked much of the music--and I don't like country in general--but I agree that often it wasn't used well--either covering up dialogue or else stopping the show cold.)

• Members

Ha, pretty much agreed actually (although my sister who watches is sure they're going for a Gunner is gay or experiments plot...) But I think it was to show he's not homophobic--and didn't actually seem all that random to me *shrug* Didn't he just say he was crashing there while Scarlett and him were fighting anyway? (and isn't it just upstairs, or next door or something? I was never sure...)

• Members
I agree--it looks like they are setting up a story for him next season, but, though I have, like I said, seen others share Vanguardian's opinion (and not just for titillation :P ) I think the whole kiss thing was simply their "shocking" way of introducing the Will story (I thought they were first gonna go on with the odd story of him being like Gunner's brother and courting danger.)

Maybe *I* am projecting because when I was younger I did drunkenly try to kiss a guy who I had recently become good drinking buddies with and whose signals I mis-read, and he reacted pretty shocked, but after a day or so it didn't affect our close friendship.

• Members

Nah, I agree with ya...I think the drunken kiss (and the fact Gunnar walked in on Will doin' that groupie) was more about shock value. I think there's more drama in seeing how Will tries to hide his sexuality in order to achieve his ambitions than whether he does, sweet, somewhat dumb Gunnar.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm shocked!tongue.png

I finally caught up and I am thinking to myself ummm...Will is 100% hotter than Gunnar...lol...it took me a while to figure out who is who....the show is rather boring...love seeing Eric Close..but the rest is just blah....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They both have their strengths and for the most part Hayden is one note as hell, she'll always be good at playing the bad girl. She is also supporting and that category is always steep, there's always next year even though towards the end her performance was grand what with losing her mom and all that.

Archived