• Members

What they desperately needed was a Marland/Dobsons/Curlee-type writer and never got it.

I also think Pamela K. Long would have better much better suited to AW than GL, as her strengths were always friendships and dynamic female characters.

I truly think it became the bastard child for PGP during its last 15 years or so.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I definitely think it was, although they never became the big cause celebre the way OLTL seemed to be in this area. If they had maybe they would have lasted longer, who knows. I wonder how much difference would have been made if they'd ever managed to bring in a good new family, one popular with viewers. All of their new families which had popularity were popular for parts, not wholes (Kathleen and Jake of the McKinnons, Vicky and Donna of the Loves).

• Members

Of all the ABC soaps, GH is the one I've always felt the least connection with. I did start watching, mostly on hearing buzz about how great it was in the mid-90's, but it just never really had that pull or heart for me. There was a certain disconnect and I thought a lot of their main characters were just unlikeable or shallow and suffocating (Brenda, Jason, Sonny) or felt wildly out of place (Laura). I did enjoy Lucy but she was on the way out. The others I enjoyed were barely on, like Audrey, or the Quartermaines. I get the feeling that I was watching in the wrong era. I sometimes felt that way about OLTL too, but I loved enough individual characters that I felt more of a draw.

• Members

The lack of shirtlessness was more a post Pratt thing--90s AMC especially did have a lot of shameless use of it, though never at DAYS levels IMHO.

I forgot that Cosgrove scene! But it almost was the exception that proved the rule--it was a bit shocking (although Cosgrove was one of the people who showed his ass on GL I think, in the brief pre "Nipplegate" experimentation with mild male nudity the daytime soaps tried about three times).

• Members

I grant you that--I said I never fully got into Y&R except for short periods, but I admit I appreciated for a long time that it stayed true to its original style--that really was a huge part of its identity and why it stayed so stable for so long, while most soaps changed style every few years in the last few decades.

• Members

I just loved the earlier comment that B&B is 'the Brooke has sex with everyone except Stephanie' show. I thought they reached a new low about that masquerade sex boink with her daughter's boyfriend, thinking it was Ridge. GMAB If you've been with someone as long as Brooke has been with Ridge, I am sure that there are certain tricks, maneuvers etc...(I'm trying to put it delicately) that is unique to Ridge alone. I get so tired of Brooke longing for 'her destiny.' If and when this cra*fest is ever cancelled, the last show should be Brooke realizing that she is, in fact, a lesbian, and that is 'her true destiny' ! ROTFLMAO

• Members

Taylor has had sex with as many men as Brooke. It's just easier to put that label on Brooke because she doesn't behave like a prude then drop it for various generations of men when the door is closed.

• Members

Weren't women raped on a daily basis on that show? I remember reading something about Theresa being raped by Alistar repeatedly, and that one time, Gwen overheard the rape happening and did nothing about it but smirk. That's just disturbing, IMO.

Archived