When did Hogan Sheffer lose his lustre?

• Members

All this buzz about how great Carlivati is by the soap press makes me wonder when Sheffer lost his golden boy persona? Was it while he was still at ATWT or was there still excitement and ass kissing in his time at Days? Or is it his complete hackery and misfit at Y& R that's done him in?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

His ATWT was never greatness, but the first year or so was entertaining for the simple fact the show had been in a horrible state when he got there, and Sheffer just had a more "exciting" (horrendously plotted albeit) outlook at the time.

After that year, he kept on repeating the same offensive, nonsensical, and shittily plotted "stories."

I think after his DAYS debacle was when the press turned on him. His Y&R tenure just cemented what a recycled and non-creative writer he is.

• Members

It was the Y&R disaster. He was praised to the skies at ATWT, endless puff pieces about what an awesome, counterculture and FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY guy he was. At DAYS, he was painted as a martyr, full of awesome ideas which were subverted by wicked Corday and Sony.

Now that he has has four long years of hell at Y&R, and, for all the (deserved) criticism Maria Bell has taken, it's very difficult to deny that his ideas are being vomited up onscreen, the sheen has finally faded.

He has become like JFP - people mostly just see him as being there, and being part of the problem.

• Members

I think it's also down to the change in the soap press, as sites take the place of magazines in terms of some of the shilling. A lot of this shilling revolves around people that some want to have sex with - I don't know how many would want to have sex with Hogan Sheffer, but I get the feeling that some are very, very desperate to have sex with "Cartini."

• Members

I remember a lot of hoopla over his early material, until the time that EJ raped Sami. Even then, there was a lot of talk about how it wasn't his fault, it was interference, he wanted to use the vets, and do this and do that, don't blame him. Then people acted like the show had turned a big corner by the end of 2007, and he got a lot of the credit.

• Members

For myself personally Sheffer lost his luster in 2004 when his ATWT turned into a bunch of crapola featuring his worst features and highlights. I thought his penchant for capers and some outlandishness would be a good fit for Days, and his first few months was good until as Carl mentioned the rape. The rest keeps going on downhill.

• Members

I didn't mind him during some of his DAYS run.

I really enjoyed his Philip/Belle affair as well as the Phillip/Chloe/Shawn/Belle quad that Dena stupidly cut when she took over.

I thought John's death was very well done too until they decided to make him alive. Dark Marlena was fun to watch.

I also enjoyed Shawn & Belle on the run from Phillip until they ended up on the damn Tinda Lau.

I even liked the beginning of the Lucas/Sami/EJ triangle until they got into the Santo mess.

He seemed to have some good storylines, but they ended up fizzling out after awhile. I'd still take his DAYS over JER's 2nd stint and both of Higley's stints.

Archived