Pre-1982 Soaps Filmed in California

Max

• Members

I'm trying to recall soaps that debuted prior to Capitol which happened to be filmed in California, and I cannot think of very many aside from GH, DOOL, and Y&R. (AMC doesn't count, since CA shooting didn't commence until 2010; I'm also not counting GL's years on the radio.) The only other pre-1982 daytime television serial I can name with 100% certainty was CBS' The Clear Horizon (7/11/60 - 3/10/61 & 2/26/62 - 6/11/62).

I am guessing that three NBC soaps--Bright Promise (9/29/69 - 3/31/72), Paradise Bay (9/27/65 - 7/1/66), and Morning Star (9/27/65 - 7/1/66)--were also filmed in CA. (BP was created by Frank & Doris Hursley, while those other two soaps were Ted Corday creations.)

If we extend this topic to all pre-1982 American daytime television soaps that were filmed outside NYC, then Moment of Truth would be added to the list. This soap was recorded in Toronto and aired on CBC, but NBC also decided to air the soap from January to November 1965.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Return to Peyton Place (1972-1974) and Never to Young (1965-1966) are two that come to mind.

CBS also moved The Brighter Day (1954-1962) to California for its final year on television to save money much like ABC did with AMC.

The syndicated/CBN religious soap Another Life (1981-1984) taped in Virgina Beach. Also, I believe the TBS soap The Catlins (1983-1985) taped in Atlanta where the show and TBS were located but I could be mistaken on that one.

• Members

You're right, The Catlins did indeed tape in Hotlanta.

When I think of the San Francisco locale, and Conboy, Mills, Charleson, and even McKinsey given her primetime work in the '60s, I always think LIAMST was taped in Hollywood.

• Members

Given how few soaps were filmed in CA prior to 1982, I believe that the biggest factor that made the LA area the top choice for newer soaps (as all Big 3 network daytime soaps that premiered post-1981 were shot in Southern CA excluding Loving and The City) was the extraordinary success of GH, DOOL, and Y&R. I think that this was an even bigger factor than the fact that CA is less expensive than NY (because if cost savings had always been the #1 consideration, a lot more soaps in the 60s and 70s would have originated from the west coast).

• Members

According to Wikipedia, all episodes of LIAMST were taped in NYC. However, I never before knew that The Brighter Day was moved to CA during its final year.

John, you are correct about LOL being taped in NYC. I apologize for my rudeness, however, but I just wanted to clarify that LOL was not a P&G soap.

Aside from Y&R, Capitol, and B&B, I believe that Full Circle and The Clear Horizon were the only other soaps that originated from CBS Television City. I posted this clip earlier (but I'd like to do it again), taken from a special about the 50th anniversary of that facility which aired on 4/27/02. It is a featurette hosted by John McCook and Melody Thomas Scott about the soaps that were filmed at CBS Television City. (Full Circle was never mentioned, as I am guessing that no clips of that soap still exist. However, I checked that it was indeed taped at that building because cbstelevisioncity.com has a chronological listing of all shows that were filmed there.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MTi0iJu9lI4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived