March 19-23, 2012

Toups

• Members

Robert's first day scored 2.0 and his scene with Luke on the bridge performed well too.

However, the following week when OLTL characters ate GH, the ratings tanked and badly. The crossovers were a massive failure no matter what FV/RC spin.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It could be a PR stunt to spare Katie the wrath of GH fans. I really don't know.

This situation oreminds me of when Frons said they wanted to cancel OLTL but AMC numbers were so bad they cut both. IMO, ABC badly wants to cancel GH and revamp the Revolting. They are backed into another corner and might cancel both with staggered end dates. GH probably goes off second in January like OLTL did.

• Members

In my area DOOL & GH are stacked against each other still. They need to do something about that. BUT which network makes the sacrifice in programming? YR is just flat out dying a slow death. I just do not understand why Sony or CBS don't do something about it. MAB isn't going anywhere because of nepotism but you would think they would make her step up and be accountable in the very least. Also she needs to fire her two hacks Hogan Sheffer and Scott Hamner to show that she can remain at the helm of this once great show. It isn't the weather or any other thing. It is bad writing plain and simple.

Have you seen the offerings on daytime? They are horrendous. Judge shows, Jerry Springer shows, talk-your-head off shows over and over and over, doctor shows both psychological and otherwise...I'm unemployed and have been since the end of December and I have yet to have the TV on hardly at all during daytime. The lead in does hurt GH because I would do anything NOT to watch that nonsense and the garbage before it so by the time GH airs I have forgotten it and end up watching the DVR later on. I just don't get why they don't get talented people to pen these shows and bring back love in the afternoon but I honestly fear that it has gone so far that once people tune out it becomes a habit not to watch and it will take something spectacular to reel them back in.

• Members

Les Moonves has little interest or respect for soaps, and I think he's said as much. I think the Bells and Sony stopped caring about Y&R years ago and are happy to just ride it out to the end. MAB makes me sick. She still goes out, again and again, doing puff piece interviews about how wonderful her show is and how they know what viewers want. That is when she's not shilling for MOCA again.

• Members

Thank you! A 49 year old show should not have to rely on a good lead in or a lead in at all. People know GH exists and where to find it. The audience is simply not interested in the same crap day in and day out. The same fans not watching now miraculously found the show when the siamese twits were bragging about a 4 month ratings hike. Remember that?

Stop blaming a 2 1/2 month show because GH is garbage!

ANDREA

• Members

I wonder how many markets have the soaps up against each other now with the tiny number of soaps. In Seattle Y&R airs at 11 (Canada gets the next day's episode at 4), B&B at 12:30, Days is at 1 and GH at 2.

At any rate, I haven;'t bought the lead in thing for a while just because most viewers, nowadays and particularly in that 18-49 demo, *flip*. A lot. BUT I will admit that having the Rev as lead in does GH zero favours and probably causes some damage. I have paid little to no attention to The Chew and Rev, but when I have flipped past, I admit, as amateurish and headache inducing as The Chew is, the people at least seem to be having fun and I could get why a casual viewer would flip on it (particularly as they seem to have completely given up the original mission statement of emphasizing nutritious food). Revolution is just a boring, dour, horrible mess on every single level.

As for GH, while (questions of actual quality aside) I do find the RC/FV version MUCH MUCH more watchable (just in terms of pace, etc), I agree that one of the big mistakes is that people who have tuned out in the past few years, and might be tempted to tune in, still largely see a show centered around Sonny, Jason, etc. That's not going to bring people back.

• Members

You and your friends/household may enjoy it and I have found scenes and episodes that I have liked as well...but ultimately the ratings are terrible, nothing has improved and the show's talent budget has ballooned, there's no way it's costing less to produce than it did in September. Changes need to be made.

Y&R is in an even worse state because its losses are even greater. Y&R is lucky it built so many beautiful sets during the good old days when ratings were high and budgets were loose. Changes need to come to Y&R too, starting with firing Hamner and Sheffer.

• Members

Even though Y&R hit a new low, the fact of the matter is that it does not exist in a vacuum. Since its ratings are still far above those of the other soaps, there is zero danger of cancellation in the near future.

It makes absolutely no logical sense to hype up OLTL's "great" ratings (and trash ABC for cancelling it) while pissing on Y&R's superior performance. If you think that AMC and/or OLTL were far superior shows (last year) to what Y&R currently is, then just say so, but please don't hold Y&R to some ridiculous double standard when it comes to ratings.

• Members

I'm in a debate because there are many posters who think OLTL characters have brought GH high ratings & are saving the show...but I saw an initial increase but???

Thus far, are the ratings higher (demos) better since they came on board?

From what I've read here except for that bump I'm seeing they aren't that much better.

Archived