DAYS: The mess that is MarDar

• Members

The only truly tolerable series of Torchwood is the third, Children of Earth, which is a masterpiece. That's probably the best thing the Doctor Who franchise has made since 2005, and it's made a lot of great stuff. The rest of Torchwood has a fine cast but is largely pap.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chloe was supposed to return this spring though. They were doing nothing with him in the mean time and he returned with no goal, Why did they even put him in EJ's sphere only to drop it so quickly? Its stupid of the show to have fired he and Nadia, only to bring him back and try to bring her back later.

• Members

barely. He did nothing to show he was redeemed except give Melanie and Gabi jobs, spar shirtless with Daniel and Brady in the lobby and mention that he's been seeing Marlena offscreen. I guess he wasnt a pimp anymore so that makes him a better person now

sucks for him that they had no contingency plan in case Chloe didnt come back. I just remembered that he and Abby were once rumored to get together but I beleive that was back when the old writers were around. Maybe they should have done something there with the two hooking up and he possibly falling for Carrie. Abby could then have an ally in trying to come between Austin/Carrie. Yeah he'd basically be playing the "Lucas" role in the story but I cant say that would be any worse than what we got

• Members

I wonder if that version of the story would have focused more on Jack being a bad father and how Abby suffered, and Jennifer's pain, etc.

Moving the story to Austin would make more sense, if the story hadn't been so rushed.

• Members

To be honest, I totally disagree with Tomlin being dumped. I think if Corday had really given Tomlin & Whitesell the ball, the show would have had some semblance of it's former self without having to bring back half the world, when some of them being gone actually turned out to be good decision making and great for the show.

I firmly believe Tomlin & Whitesell were responsible for the baby switch and a short period after. I LOVE that Tomlin not only used Maggie, but actually thought to bring back and utilize characters like Anna, Tony, Calliope, Vivian, Carly. Unfortunately, Higley and Corday ended up with all the power on the show again and we got a huge mess, apologies (and an "autobiographical" history of the show from Kenny's point of view), and a reboot/reset without any big story planned for anyone returning. It was let's pick 8 people to bring back to get the audience excited about them and then......hopefully it will write itself.

• Members

Juniorz, I agree to a point. Tomlin and Whitesell brought some vision to the show, and Dena Higley's run as writer really wasn't bad up until the final nine or 10 months. THEN the train went off the tracks in a hurry.

Some people will never be happy. Part of that is Corday's fault. When he opened his mouth and said the classic "that was then this is now" line and told people they'd have to go to the lunches to see Drake and Deidre, I think all the supporters turned on the newcomers and said "It's YOUR fault they're gone". Which is not fair.

I'm not saying Days is perfect, but Marlene and Darrell are at least trying, for what it's worth.

• Members

Tomlin did not bring back and utilize Tony. When Tomlin and Whitesell came on the story about Tony and EJ fighting Stefano and RoboJohn was dropped never to be mentioned again. Tony spent the next five months on the backburner before being killed off. And Tomlin was responsible for the AWFUL pink lighting.

• Members

I agree that they're trying and there's parts of the show that I'm enjoying, just like there were parts of 2008-2010 that I liked. The day to day is actually far better than the last year or so of Higley's run. I was actually liking the reintroduction of Austin and Carrie, if only because I got a kick out of Rafe & Austin sparring. And I'm still quite invested in the Alice's secrets storyline, even if it seems to have lost its way. I still hold out hope that there is something mapped out and planned there, but I do worry that their inexperience could cause them to change course or drop things entirely. I still want to believe that all of these little key points have been revealed for a reason and there's something we're supposed to see there that hasn't fallen into place.

I certainly don't want to see them fired or think they've run their course, if only because I'd hate to see another writer take over their stories from where they're at. That has to say something about them.

The thing about DAYS for most of the time I've been watching it, which is almost 30 years, I've felt it wasn't living up to its potential. Even under Reilly, I thought the characterizations were a mess, or at least since '94 or so.

I just want the show to live up to its potential and there have been glimpses of that under MarDar. My fear is that it will always feel like a shell of its former self to me.

Archived